I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat removal
Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 12:41PM

I've removed the foregrip and now need to remove the reel seat but with the epoxy holding it tight, I am looking for a smooth way to break the bond and remove the reel seat.

Any ideas?

Re: Reel seat removal
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2012 01:04PM

If you installed it properly, it will be almost impossible to break the bond without damaging the resin that holds the blank together. Best best is to spiral cut the reel seat and then pry it open and pop it off.

Some builders have been able to break an epoxy bond by submersing the handle assembly in boiling water.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 10:10PM

Tom's correct, it is possible to use very hot water to help break the bond. I've done this successfully around a half dozen times to remove fly rod reel seats mounted with Rod Bond. But, there is risk involved and each case is a little different. In one case after removal of the seat I noticed that the bottom four inches of the blank had moved (deflected) around one degree. After things cooled down I stress tested the bottom of the blank and found it to be firm. Since this was a personal rod used only in certain situations I replaced the wood insert and reinstalled the reel seat.

Jeff

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 12, 2012 10:14PM

Hi Dave,
If you don't want to save the reel seat do as Tom suggested. I have used the boiling water for one seat that was a snug fit on the blank and didn't want to risk damaging the blank by cutting. If you use it you will find that it will take several imersions to get it off. The alternate heating and cooling seems to break the bond. A pair of multi grips will help to loosen it but don't over do it or the blank can be damaged. If you want the seat you will need to wrap a rag around the seat to protect it from the multi grips. You need to keep boiling the water for best results. You can make a container to do it from a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on one end. I found a piece 3 or 4 inches in diameter and long enough to cover the seat well was the go.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2012 09:14PM

For me, the time it takes to get a well mounted seat off with boiling water, it's much quicker to cut it off and start again. Spiral cut the seat as Tom suggested and proceed with the repair. All it takes is a little care to avoid cutting into the blank. A dremel tool with a fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel is a great tool for this work.

Terry

Posted by: Roscoe Andersen (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 09:47AM

If you don't want to save the blank and want save the reel seat. You could heat up a metal rod with a torch. The metal rod should be about the size of the butt section of the blank. I use an old piece of a bar-b-que spit. Grab the glowing rod with vice grips and insert the rod into the butt section. The reel seat will slip right off, of course the blank is toasted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster