I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting reel seats
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.231.96.50.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 04, 2012 09:08PM

Got the bright idea to try my hand painting a reel seat for a new build but I've hit a question on what type of paint to use. Does anyone have any input?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting reel seats
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 04, 2012 09:17PM

I like to use the Testors spray enamel. They have great colors and the coat is thin. I then add several coats of duplicolor clear. I've used Krylon fusion, but it is to thick.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.231.96.50.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 04, 2012 09:27PM

Thanks Brandon. I'll see if I can get my hands on some pearl white to match my Chronarch.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 04, 2012 11:22PM

Plastikote and Krylon Fusion both work very well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2012 12:27PM

A cool trick is using KRYLON X Metals It is a transparent paint for painting over chrome It does a nice job on stainless reelseat hoods also works on aluminum reelseats , recomend a couple coats clear over the finnish Larry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2012 01:07PM

If you paint the threads the nut rids on you may have trouble with too much build up and the nut will not fit
I sand them so the nut goes on loosely this way the build up has it fit
Permagloss is nice and hard One good coat after your paint is - Dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2012 04:55PM

I've painted four Fuji seats so far. All were painted with House of Kolor paints with an airbrush. Started with sanding the molding seams off and prime with etch primer from a rattle can. Then at least two coats black base, then at least three coats red to gold color change paint, and lastly at least two coats of clear. Like I said, everything except the primer was House of Kolor brand, some high dollar stuff. Never had a problem with the threads in the nut. Spray away!!

Date: June 06, 2012 06:56AM

You want to spend all that money for that paint

Dupli Color is a lot cheaper and works very well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:20AM

to make the nut work better after the paint dries I put spray wax (pledge) on the threads this keeps them slick Larry

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 10:30PM

I guess I have the luxury of not worrying about making a profit on rods. For me it's strictly a hobby. End up giving most of my work away anyways. If you saw the difference between rattle can and the real deal, it's night and day. But, I was just giving my personal experience. I don't suggest somebody go out and spend $300.00 just to be able to paint reel seats as I did.

Date: June 07, 2012 08:21AM

having a little body shop and spraying your own paint is a plus
Got a compressor traded for a rod Too load and don't need to bother the neighbors in this apartment complex
That is why I like the DupliColor Match cans Cheep and thin lays out nice

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster