I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surface prep misprint?
Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 07:41PM

Now I'm reading my new copy of RodMaker and there is an article on how to prepare surfaces in order to get them ready for applying adhesive. For years and years I have sanded or roughened and then cleaned with solvent. This is also the advice you see on every rod building message board on the world wide web.

Now this article says that is all wrong. That you are supposed to clean the area FIRST with your solvent and THEN sand or lightly roughen the area to be glued. Then you apply the glue with no further cleaning. Don't mean to contradict what is always an informative publication but this just sounds backwards. I've never heard of this sequence from anybody in the rod building business. Ideas? Misprint? Somebody?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surface prep misprint?
Posted by: Neptune (---.alsv1.occa.home.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 09:39PM

The article is correct. If you sand first, you will grind any oil or other contaminates into the surface, this is futher componded by cleaning with a solvent - which dilutes the contaminates, thus allowing them to penetrate the into surface. Additionally some solvents leave a film, which is detrimental to bonding.

Cleaning the surface first, followed by sanding - removes most of the contaminates and provides a near virgin clean surface for bonding.

Posted by: CB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 09:53PM

I went back and read the sidebar with the article and that's pretty much what it said. Okay, I'll do it that way from now on. But I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut there's not 1 rod builder in 100 that do it this way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 09:34AM

It's not a misprint - that's the proper way to do it. @#$%& has followed with the exact reasons why this particular sequence is better than the way most of us would assume to be correct.

In a future issue, Ralph O'Quinn is going to do a more involved article than mine on the same topic. It will delve deeper into the how and why, along with the testing that has been done over the years which proves the best way to prepare surfaces for bonding.

The one thing I am most proud of concerning RodMaker, is that we are now able to present rod builders with valid technical information which heretofore was just not available to them within the realm of the rod building craft. What they choose to do with that information is up to them of course, but at least it's out there now.

Re: Molecular realignment is why
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 02:22PM

Tom ,

I understand the reasons for cleaning first then scuffing up with scotch brite and not using solvent after scuffing but, the not dusting/wiping is perplexing me like the others.

I can see not wiping after the scotch brite if the particals that are left on the blank are a few microns to a couple of thousanths big .

Every time I use a scotch brite pad I seem to leave strands off the pad aprox 1/8-1/4 inch in length ! I can,t see this material as being fine enough to be considered fill on the blank . (Ive been using the softer blue polyester scotch brite pads I cant find Grey pads)

I always have to dust /wipe. any insight will be helpfull.

Thanks Much "John"

Re: Molecular realignment is why
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 07:28PM

I understand that what Tom is saying is for the most optimum bond surface, but you know that wiping or dusting off the surface isn't going to completely ruin the bond either. Most of us do it that way and it works well enough that we don't have rods falling apart. I also understand from my reading that you don't really have to work over the surface, just lightly abrade it, so there really shouldn't be much in the way of dust or fibers left behind. To be honest though, not wiping that sucker down after I have used the scotchbrite on it will be a hard habit to break. Then again, if I do I wouldn't think it would ruin my bond. It never has.

What I did get from the article is that I must clean the surfaces first before I abrade them. I'll certainly do that as it makes very good sense as it has been explained here.

Re: Right on boss!
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: October 26, 2001 09:18PM

Rodbuilders,
I recently had a question for the Guru of epoxy/finish; Ralph O' Quinn. It was in reference to bonds made with epoxy. He supplied me with an understanding unlike any I have found. If interested in his response, e-mail me and I will forward to you.

Pat Barnard
Pat's Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster