I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Birch Bark Rod Grips
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:16PM

A few weeks back somebody asked about the article or tutorial on making birch bark grips. I cannot find it now. Any help finding it is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birch Bark Rod Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:27PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Will Hitchon (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 18, 2012 06:14PM

Likely a stupid question but thought id ask anyways. Im almost completely new at this and Im currently planning my first float rod build to use with a centerpin (13ft). It was recommended to me that i use sliding rings if im just starting out with a centerpin so that i can adjust where the reel sits, leaving me with a tenessee handle. How heavy are these handles compared to cork? would it be possible to use birch bark for the center of the handle and a few inches of cork at the top and bottom, or would it weigh a ton? I believe a handle for a rod that size would be in the 20-22inch range? Has anyone else tried something like this, cause im not sure how it would look. Luckily im not in a hurry so I have time to experiment a little.

Thanks, Will

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 06:58PM

Will,
I really think that you will be much happier with a grip if when using birch bark you use it mainly as trim, rather than the main body of the grip.

Good luck
Roger

Date: April 18, 2012 07:04PM

alright thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 11:52PM

I made a float rod grip from birch bark and used quite a bit of it. I could have used more without a problem but I mixed in some cork and wood. Go for it, you'll love it. The handle in the pic also uses sliding rings.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 18, 2012 11:54PM

I also made another float rod handle from birch using much more birch with a fixed reel seat. I love them both.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 19, 2012 08:50AM

Will,
bore the birch bark grip out and insert an off the shelf arbor. They commonly come from around 15 mm to 22mm.
Rodmaker has an article on the general principles of this.
You will get a weight the same or maybe even less than all cork. The heaviest part of it all is the adhesive!
BTW: all the samples i have had of Birch bark are lighter than cork. The birch bark rings are thinner than cork rings so needs more glueing therefore possible extra weight.

Date: April 19, 2012 01:03PM

We're talking about a 13 foot rod here, in my opinion the difference in weight between cork and birch bark is negligible.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: April 19, 2012 02:01PM

I made a birchbark disk last night, first one. It took me 10 pieces to get a 1/4" thick disc. Turned, sanded and finished with CA just for the effect and it is awsome. Is it normal to take so many pieces of bark to get only 1/4" of thickness? The article author states he glues 20 pieces and in the photo it appears that his stack of rings is about 1" to about an 1 1/4". The chunk of wood in his article also looks like a much different bark than my birch. I took it from a tree on my property that has been down for a while. Maybe different type of birch? At the thickness my bark is it will take me 240 pieces to get a 6" handle, with 1/2" trim ends. Sound normal for a Michigan birch tree?

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2012 02:09PM

Jim one of the things i found is to not use the areas of the bark that are iregular in color. Its hard to explain but certain areas of the sheets i have are a reddish color inside in spots and wavy. Dont use those areas as they are week and heavy. I also started doing the bore and arbor thing and so far its the ticket to save weight.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2012 03:07PM

At 13 ft it is top heavy Without Guides and thread and finish

Some weight on the butt handle should help

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 19, 2012 09:35PM

thanks for the input. I may try to do something like steves in the first pic. As far as tenessee handles go, thats the best looking one ive seen. How long is it? I think a 22" handle should be good for a 13' rod but ive never done one before and right now im using a 10'6".

Date: April 19, 2012 11:55PM

Will the grip with the sliding rings measures 21".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster