I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any place other than rod building supply houses to get thread for wrapping
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 11, 2012 03:03PM

Are there any alternatives to getting thread for wrapping other than the typical supply guys. I didnt know if thread from a place like walmart would work. It would be nice to have a place you could run to in an emergency or additional options.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any place other than rod building supply houses to get thread for wrapping
Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 03:58PM

I would not recommend Wally thread cause they mostly get cost down by squeezing suppliers and or getting seconds. Check out all you can on the internet about thread - size, weight, color consistancy, embroidery vs sewing, conditioned for machine sewing (coated/lubricated), material (cotton, polyester, rayon) . Search engines are a great thing. Also cheap thread will likely give you more headaches (like fuzzies, weak spots, color changing when you apply finish). The Pros use thread made for rod wrapping for a good reason. But that doesn't mean you can't use twine or monofilament either to learn or try something different. It's really up to you. I've got my opinion loke every body but that doesn't mean you have to listen to it. Just saying. It may be cheap and easy to get at wally's and may be OK to start out practicing but if the idea is to sell a rod or make a special one for a family member why not spend a bit more for good thread and charge for it. Oh and my wife sews quilts and she won't use craft store or wally store threads cause they break in the middle of sewing. She thought she was saving money but she ended up throwing away a bunch of big spools of thread. There went the money. She goes for better brands of thread and has no problems when she uses them and I don't have to listen to her language. (glad the kids are grown)

You might try sewing centers if there are some around. Some builders are using Madeira Poly neon for butt and guide wraps for the color selection. Also have seen some posts about YLI.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:44PM

WalMart does have some threads you can use, ours has some metallics and even a nylon twist. A lot of sewing machine places have embroidery threads, Sulky is carried by most of them. As Ed stated, most sewing threads won't work. Be daring, buy different types and try them on test wraps, with CP and finish.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:49PM

After you build a few rods, throw a couple of spools of thread on your order each time and you'll build up a good supply without even noticing. :-) Second what Grant said though, you see a lot of cotton thread (not good for us) and rayon which is good for strength, but is coated with silicone (as is maderia).

If you have to use something else in an emergency, go to a fabric store like JoAnns or even Michaels. They will have a good selection of sulky metallic thread for trim wraps and the sulky regular thread is good but also coated. You'll need to use at least 2 coats of CP on these coated threads, or as others have noted, put some of the thread in your finish and stir it around to help prevent fish eyes during application. Rayon and Madeira colors are fantastic but you must deal with the coating.

Terry

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.sub-174-226-66.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 05:24PM

In my opinion, thread isn't the place to cut corners to save $ or to save making an order. Use the thread that has been proven to work. Hundreds of builders before you have experimented with cheap and convenient only to find that most threads aren't either.

Don

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 05:41PM

As said

It is not the price of the thread but after doing a wrap and spending 20 - 60 hours on it and then finding that after you clear it

It ain't what you want --- Bummer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 06:04PM

Casey,
Think about all of the color combinations that you would likely wrap on a rod.
Also think about any metallic, or trim colors that you might wrap on a rod.

Unless you are one that goes in for Technicolor rods, most builders use a rather small color palate. Really not a huge reason to use many of the colors that are available.

So, on the next order, order - say 20 spools of thread, in the colors and typical size A or other size that you might like. Chances are, this lot of 20 spools will go a long way toward meeting most of your immediate needs.

If you tend to always use a common base color like black - then be sure to buy a larger spool size for a common thread color.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 06:17PM

All good ideas... My reason for trying to find a local supplier is not to cut costs. Its more of a conviennce factor. I find myself in situations where I think..." ohh what about this color" or "ohhh I forgot to order this color"

Just looking for other options.

Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 06:22PM

Every time you order a color

order 2 or 3 This way you get to load up your stock

Just like guides

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 12, 2012 08:40AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every time you order a color
>
> order 2 or 3 This way you get to load up your
> stock
>
> Just like guides

I do agree with this... I'm just in the beginning stages of getting back into this and havent placed a lot of orders. I will indeed start doing that moving forward.

But... I still think its a good idea to find a local source for possibly odd ball type scenerios or situations. If anything it would be good to go in and see the colors etc first hand, then order online.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2012 08:53AM

If you can find a local tackle shop that builds/repairs rods, chances are that they'll sell you a spool or two.

I've found that, with present shipping rates, that their prices are very comparable. C2

Date: April 12, 2012 10:46AM

Charlie Smoote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can find a local tackle shop that
> builds/repairs rods, chances are that they'll sell
> you a spool or two.
>
> I've found that, with present shipping rates, that
> their prices are very comparable. C2

that is a good idea... Ill have to check around and see who around here rebuilds.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: April 12, 2012 11:14AM

I pretty much only use metallic thread, and I buy lots of Sulky metallic from a local sewing store. I agree about adding extra thread to your orders to build up a stock, but it is nice to be able to run to a store 10 min away when I need something right away.

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2012 12:25PM

Pacific Bay makes 32 different colors in nylon & "stay tru" and 12 metallic colors. If you purchase the tread kit of all of the colors it can save a lot of money and headache. If you are interested, email utmost39@aol.com for pricing.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: April 16, 2012 04:14PM

Then, this begs the question, at least for me, what are the requirements rod builders must have in their wrapping threads? Regardless of material, I think its diameter and color must be uniform. It should be strong enough so that it doesn't break while wrapping. The color should be reasonably stable. If a thread meets those requirments, why shouldn't it be used? Once an epoxy finish has penetrated the thread and coated the wraps, how vulnerable is that thread? I can't see where it would matter if the thread were silk, nylon, rayon, cotton, or even wool. Admittedly, wool might require many, many coats of Threadmaster to get a non-fuzzy finish, but... The point being, if a thread has a consistent diameter and doesn't break when you're using it, I can think of no reasons not to use it. The difficulty comes in finding such threads. You can spend time and money experimenting, or you can buy products touted as being purpose specific for the task. That is the only reason I can see for buying Gudebro or Sulky or Pac Bay, or whatever, but it is a pretty good reason. Having said that, though, if you see a thread at Ben Franklin's or Michael's that tickles your fancy, I can't think of a reason why it won't work. You'll never know until you try. Kind of a Shrodinger's Cat thing without the cat, or the box, or the poison.:)
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Timothy Fisher (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2020 10:22AM

This is an old topic but I thought I'd revive it. I've seen references to embroidery thread as being suitable for wrapping. But they mention that it has a coating (seems like wax and silicone are both mentioned). Also I see that sewing machine type thread is a bad idea. I too have this exact situation, except in my case I can't get anything in the mail before I need to wrap up the build (pun intended). And I don't care for the color that I planned to use (Pro Wrap colorfast smoke gray I think). I thought it would get a little darker but testing it with and without color preserver it's too light and the contrast with the almost black blank is pretty ugly. I don't care about colorfast, it's a black rod with black single foot guides and although I didn't plan for it I'm thinking a stealth rod would look kinda cool, so plain old black might work :) I'm hoping that in the past 8 years someone may have discovered a suitable substitute.

Posted by: Timothy Fisher (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 01:01PM

After I read all the whining about not being able to find anything in the Portland OR area I decided to cold call all the fly shops (there are surprisingly few for a city our size). I hit gold with Great American Tackle Shop in Clackamas across from the Fred Meyer. I've parked practically in front of it many times (it's next door to a dirt cheap sushi place and the liquor store lol) but it was always closed. When I asked the shop owner said he has 300 spools of thread. I almost fell out of my chair in a mad dash to get there before they closed. I told him he should rename the shop or at least add "rod building", half a wall was just building components and supplies. Turns out he builds rods in the back when he's not busy. So although he didn't have every color on the planet I did end up with 2 spools of Pro Wrap in (I forget the color names) I think charcoal and one of the grays. It looked about what I was shooting for, using Flex Coat CP against a dark charcoal blank the main wraps in the deeper color more or less melted into the blank, and the lighter accent wraps are noticeable but not garish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster