I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

handle length ona casting rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 08:41PM

is there a WEB site I can get some info on casting rod handles like how long should the butt part be an how long the top part be or can some one here stear mealong a little bit , or is it just a personal feeling like a fly rod ?????? is there a ratio on the rod / butt / for end of handle ?? any help out there what I am bulding is a couple of bass rods in the 6 ft range 5.6' / 6.6'
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: handle length ona casting rod
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 09:09PM

Bill; Send an E- Mail to the Swampland boys. They'll give you the info you are looking for. There are several lengths depending on what you want to do with the rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:05PM

Bill,

Definitely check in with Bill or Lance. Grip lengths can be very personal, and I'll share my personal preferences. I like to measure my grips from the trigger on a casting rod, or the reel stem on a spinning rod. The reason being that I fish both with two fingers in front of the trigger or stem, and this measurement gives me a much better estimate on how the rod is going to fish. Most of the time I cast two handed with casting rods, and don't care for grips less than 7.5" from the trigger to butt or 7" behind the reel seat. As a max length on rods where an exceptionally long handle is needed, I top it out at 9.5" from the trigger or 9" behind the reel seat.

With that said, for 5'6"-6' rods I usually go with 7.5" from the trigger. For 6'6"-7' rods I tend to go with 9.5" from the trigger. Some like pistol grips on short rods for some techniques. Specialty rods like heavy swim baits or A-rig rods may require a longer grip. For the types of rods it sounds like you are building, something from about 6"-10" depending on rod length and your preferences should put you in the ball park.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:19AM

Rule 1: The bigger your belly gets the shorter the handle should be.
There is no Rule 2.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:36AM

Length of rear grip on casting rods CAN be a very complex subject -

Depends on who is using the rod for what - even the rods set up for "Rigs" are moving to shorter rear grips.

Most production rods are set up to SELL - think about it for a minute

Angler walks in a store and starts picking up rods - shaking them - checking the price - looking at the label generally feeling them up pretty good.

Which one is he going to select and make a buy decision - the one that feels the best that meets his price point!

The production guys are not dummies! What do they do?

They shove the reel seats as far out as possible to insure the lightest tip weight - they simply feel better! The one that feels the lightest to the buyer may be a heavy dog.

How the rods in the store "look" determines what the public assumes to be correct.

They also cost professional anglers pain due to loss of fish control. Top knotch anglers generally prefer rear grips much shorter than the general buying public. Richard Forhan build rods for top bass Elites that were eight feet in length with 8 1/2 in rear grips.

If you fish year round and wear slicker suits, coats, sweaters a rear grip that is too long will cost you many fish!

The first thing we should all do is adopt a place to measure so we are all talking the same thing - most will use the end of the butt cap to the intersection of the reel seat ant the handle.

Re: handle length on a casting rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:26AM

William,
Let the client decide the handle length.

If you are making the decision yourself, make it the length that you prefer, or the length that feels right for you, with the reel of choice mounted on the rod.

The general rule of thumb is that long rods equal long butt grips to compensate a bit for the rod length in front of the reel. If a builder wants to achieve a balanced rod without adding weight, it is most commonly achieved by increasing the handle length.

Lots of folks could care less about the actual rod balance and just want a handle of a particular length, for a particular body type or fishing style. By all means, do what ever you can to make the tip light by using good building techniques, but in the end; make the handle length that suits the client.

Take care
Roger

Re: handle length on a casting rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 12:22PM

thanks for all your input, will work it out an do my best
BILL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster