I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master One part finish
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 20, 2012 10:24PM

I used the samples of TM One part finish that I got at the ICRBE and was very happy with the results!! I did one complete build and a LOT of repairs and was pleased with the results. IMO, it was pretty much "No Fuss" Applied by lowering a loaded brush to the wrap, rotated the rod and pretty much let it do it's stuff on it's own. It set's pretty quick and I love the no odor and water clean up.

I think Scott may have a viable product here! I hope it hits the market soon (I have a space on my shelf for it)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master One part finish
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 20, 2012 10:29PM

Mike, you going to be in North Branch this weekend @ the MRB meeting? Hope to meet up with you there...

Date: March 20, 2012 10:34PM

Wouldn't miss it! Looking forward to meeting more Michigan builders! It should be a ball!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 05:22PM

Mike,
thanks for the info on TM1. I am hopeful more of the people who received the samples will give thier feed back as well. So we can make an informed decision.
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Date: March 21, 2012 11:19PM

Scott, I hope they hurry up!! I'm looking forward to seeing this hit the market!!! If they took a sample, the least they can do is give some feedback!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2012 02:18AM

I have not used it on an actual build. However I have tried it on a repair and I too thought it was great to work with and I liked the results. I think you are going to have a big seller once people try it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 22, 2012 06:50AM

Mike & Bill

I'm in the middle of a few builds and hav not had the time to use it yet, but would ask you guy's a question: How did you use the product? (pour on foil; squirt with "Bubble Buster"...)

Thanks for any info, I intend to do a short bait rod compleatly wrapped from tip to butt then use the TM1 over the whole rod.

Thanks and Keep Them Spinning!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-166-249-96.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2012 06:51AM

Scott,
I have used it on a reel seat that I painted.
Easy application, cures hard and seems to be flexible enough for many uses.
Thanks for the sample.
More feedback as my lazy butt uses it.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 22, 2012 08:46AM

I liked it a lot.
I sort of think of it more as a PG/Lumiseal replacement as if you started using PG/Lumiseal you have already decided regular epoxies are not suitable for some reason. This is less problems than PG/Lumiseal, slightly more than regular 2 part epoxy.
The way i applied it with least bubbles was spatula on bottom of wrap with rod rotating towards you, just like 2 part epoxy. Tooth pick for tunnels.
If you get a bubble: poke with pin they do not easily come to the surface. Heat is BIG no no as finish does imediate 'skin over' from heat as the water evaporates.
Stiring that hardened skin into the rest of the epoxy when trying to get bubble to come out creates a roughness almost like fuzzies from bad thread.
I have broken ribs but if they are painless enough by this weekend i plan to try steam from an electric kettle as a way to get bubbles to release .
As always the best cure for bubbles is not to put any in to start with.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 09:09AM

Scott -
Like Mike I have room (plenty of room) for Threadmaster One in the workshop. Two weeks ago I attended the local Maryland Bas Federation president's meeting as a guest. While there (9AM - 2PM) I replaced / repaired guides & tips on about 20 rods using TM1. By 2 PM everyone left with their rods repaired & ready to fish. Like any product it has it's 'quirks' (bubble formation / release) but nothing that fore knowledge and a bit of experimentation can not over come. On the flip side it has many more advantages - clear, one part, no fumes, water clean up. Will I use it for all builds / repairs? No probably not - especially on heavy duty saltwater rods because the customer expects a deep coat finish and now that the rod dryers are freed up from "freshwater one guide repairs" I can let them roll for 12+ hours
When it's ready for sale - I'm ready to buy in quantity.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 22, 2012 09:24AM

Scott,incase my post was not clear enough i am with the others here: i would buy it tomorrow if it was for sale.

Date: March 22, 2012 10:38AM

Robert,

I used it right out of the bottle. Applied with a cheap throwaway brush, lowering brush to the wrap and letting it "flow" to the wrap. and moving on. I didn't encounter many bubbles and they were quickly taken care of by poking with a toothpick or blowing through a big "Slurpee" straw (they were large enough to easily see and not the fine ones that you don't see until to late!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 02:21PM

Robert =
Like Mike - straight out of the bottle onto the wraps, spread with "el cheapo" brush. No mixing, no foil, no bubble buster, no heat source. Just apply & let it seek it's own level (turning in rod dryer). Two coats recommended - maybe 10 - 15 minutes apart (enough so the first isn't still tacky)

Posted by: Ed Hermoyian (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 02:26PM

I posted comments on the website referenced on sample, but am happy to add here. Did 3 repairs,very easy to work with, dried well. I really like the stuff. Thanks Scott.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 04:50PM

10-15 minutes = not tacky? Wow, how fast does this stuff set/dry?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Josh Keuss (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2013 05:34PM

Tm1 product goes on super thick... After tons of practice wraps I wasn't getting a level finish.. I suggest to any one using tm1 to put the bottle in coffee cup filled with hot water to warm it up... The tempertature difference make all the difference in the world made it extremely simple to work with..

Posted by: Josh Keuss (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2013 05:36PM

Tm1 product goes on super thick... After tons of practice wraps I wasn't getting a level finish.. I suggest to any one using tm1 to put the bottle in coffee cup filled with hot water to warm it up... The tempertature variance makes all the difference in the world. Flows much better and levels much better..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster