I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Quickline Fly Blank - WOW!
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 01:42PM

Just started my first build on one of the new Quickline fly blanks. Very light, crisp, fast action - excellent ferrule fit - super nice blank.

It's actually nicer than I had hoped, and has a beautiful gloss black finish. I am impressed!

Worth checking out!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Quickline Fly Blank - WOW!
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 01:45PM

Yep!! I think a slight lack of marketing has kept these things from completely catching fire!!

Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.125.---)
Date: March 20, 2012 06:38PM

What blank and how about a review when done. Been thinking about a 5-7 wt.

Scott K

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 20, 2012 08:52PM

Have fished the FAF905-4 and the Czech Nymph FAF1005-4 in Alaska, great little weapons. Won't change from my GUSA DHX and DH rods that have been exceptional and durable over the years, but if I was starting out I'd seriously think about them, as they fished very well and survived in conditions where many very expensive rods did not.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:46AM

I built an 8wt Quickline a few months ago and was extremely pleased. It's a nice rod blank for $75. Used a PacBay channel lock fly seat (also a good buy) and REC guides. Very happy with it.

I liked it enough that I'll build more. I just wish they had a 3 wt, but the lowest they seem to go is 4.

Drew

Date: March 21, 2012 09:37AM

I am working on a 10 wt. right now - I'll follow up when done.

Marc

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.midco.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 11:03AM

I have been contemplating using there 4 wt 10ft czech nymph blank and building it up as a light switch rod. Thoughts?

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 05:45PM

Hey Marc, Who is carrying Pac bay blanks these days? I cant find anyone that still carries them. I want to the pac bay sight and they state all the major companies but then i go to those sights and nothing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2012 05:53PM

I know that Bingham and Donart have those blanks in stock, or at least they had some at the Expo this year and last.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 08:04PM

Do they offer 2pc? All I see are 4pc.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 10:23PM

Angler's Workshop and Utmost carry Pac Bay products, Utmost is in the same town. For a nice, quick little 2 piece, I've heard good things about the 5 wt MHX blank.

Date: March 22, 2012 10:46AM

I'd check with Karen at Bingham for sure. I know she has been working with them, and if she does not have it, she can get it pretty quick.

Check them out! Too nice not too!

Marc

Posted by: Dave Crowther (---.sub.tctwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 03:57PM

I'm a custom rod builder in Cody, Wyoming. After building three Quickline and several MHX, I prefer the Quickline feel. Both are excellent quality blanks. As for the 10' 4wt blank, it makes a great Czech nymphing rod. I have one each for my wife and I and as demo test rods. If you make one into a switch rod, I would line it as if it were a 2wt switch. I don't believe it will do well with 240 grain lines. I think these are the best value in a blank currently and I have no hesitation recommending them to customers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster