I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do more guides = greater friction = reduced casting distance
Posted by: Linus Tay (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: February 19, 2012 06:38PM

Hi everyone. I've been reading up on the 27x system and experimenting a little on llight 6-7ft spin rods. The intention is to build a rod that achieves max casting distance AND fishes well. So do more guides on a rod equal greater line friction and thus cuts down on casting distance? Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do more guides = greater friction = reduced casting distance
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:02PM

No.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:06PM

Yes, but the practical difference would be extremely slight.

There is very little friction between the line and the guides on the cast because there is nothing forcing them against each other. The bigger factor is weight. Any additional weight is something the rod has to carry and it'll make the rod less efficient. But now we're back to practical differences. Modern guides, particularly in the smaller sizes that we'd be talking about for the upper half of a NGC rod, are extremely light. Adding or dropping a guide or two isn't likely to result in any measurable casting distance difference.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:28PM

The other part of the equation is "fishes well". As mentioned above weight is the biggie. My research suggests and extra guide or two might make the rod more efficent WRT "fishes well". Not all will agree. It also bears mentioning I'm fishing salt water with light line class in relationship to fish weight.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:45PM

Linus,
Bottom line.
Put enough, but just enough guides on a rod so that it casts and fishes well. Don't put on too few, or too many.

Always try to put the smallest number of guides on a rod that is consistent with good performance.

Roger

Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.w90-18.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: February 19, 2012 08:31PM

Yes too many guides reduce casting distance...

BUT if you put very few guides on a rod, others problems appear and will reduce casting distance.
This what appens on carp rod (like medium surf rod) where this theory push the makers to make very very few guides (six bigger guides on a 12'...)
Depends on rods, but I can tell you that on 12' carp rods ten small guides cast farther than 6 bigger.

The key like Roger said is to find the perfect number of guides for a particular combinaison of rod and reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 08:33PM by Lindsay PELLETIER.

Posted by: Linus Tay (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: February 19, 2012 09:20PM

Thanks for the many insightful responses. Certainly a lot of useful information there. My experience seems to reflect the "not-too-many" camp too. I had a seven footer fast action 6-15lb on which I put 3 reduction guides and 6 running guides plus a tip for a total of 9+1. The stripper ended up about 19in from the spool face which was at the lower end of what is usually acceptable. I found on casting that rod that something was choking or slowing down the line as I cast. Can't quite put my finger on it. I've just re-built it with one less guide and moved the stripper further along. We'll see how it goes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 09:07AM

Moderation is usually a good policy. Selecting the best number and size of guides should be guided by this policy unless you intend to use the rod for some extreme or unusual purpose.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:32PM

usually one guide per foot plus one is a good starting place
Static test Then test cast
take one guide off Static test then test cast again can become a pain But IMHO the only way to Feel how it will cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:39PM

Could someone correct my thinking on this matter? It seems to me that casting distance should be of little concern, or of secondary concern, at best. The primary consideration ought to be the number of guides necessary to keep the angle of the line's deflection, at acceptable limits, when the rod is under load. It seems to me that the minimum number of guides required to accomplish this is the goal. Am I missing something?
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2012 01:11PM

You're not missing anything. Rods have to do more than cast and almost anything you do related to guides should be a compromise that provides the best all-around performance. In general, the length of the rod, plus one, plus the tiptop, will put enough guides on the rod to adequately distribute stress. Depending on the guides used and the power of the blank, you may need one or two more, or perhaps one or two less, but this should put you in the ballpark in most cases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster