I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy
Posted by: jeremy tuttle (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 05:08PM

I messed part of my epoxy up. As it was drying I noticed a piece of hair in the epoxy I pulled it out with tweezers but now I have a swirl in the epoxy. I tried to heat it a little but I think the epoxy it to far along as it did nothing. So after it dries should I sand it down a little then re epoxy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy
Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-196-193.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2012 05:24PM

Hope this helps: Is it a guide or butt wrap? Sometimes it's eaier to carefully cut off a guide and do it over. Be carefull and patient when cutting off the guide. I heat it up and work on top of the guide foot to stay away from the blank. Be espicially carefull after you leave the guide foot and go only to the thread and you can usually peal that off to the point where the epoxy is past the threat and on the blank, be really carfull there and heat it up good and don't let your razor angle into the blank and cut into the finish. That said, if I think I can sand down and even out that area that is damaged with out getting to the thread I use 200grit sandpaper or finer. The sanding marks will dissapear when you re-epoxy. Just don't get into the thread. Good luck

Doug Webb

Date: February 11, 2012 06:16PM

it is neither. I wrote on the blank with a quill pen and paint then epoxyed over it and that is where my problem area is at it!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 06:16PM

It may be alright if you just recoat it

If you are unsure scoff with --- Carefully -- with 400 wet paper DRY and recoat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 08:43PM

Hawhip another coat on it. it will be fine. Can you say whip? Hawhip.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 11, 2012 09:15PM

thanks for the responses I'm unsure if I should sand it. If you look close you can see brush marks in the epoxy that did'nt lay down flat. The epoxy was tacky when I removed the hair and tried to fix it but I screwed it up instead.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-218.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:36AM

Jeremy, unless you have really high ridges where you removed the hair from, you should be able to just recoat with one or two coats of epoxy. The finish will flow into the marks left by the hair, and leave an even surface.

If you do have some high ridges -higher than the surrounding finish - just trim the high spots down with a razor blade or scalpel, and then recoat the area once or twice, or more as needed.

Posted by: jeremy tuttle (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:01PM

There is some high spots. When I rub my finger over it can feel it. There is also some low spots! Should I just smooth it out with some 600 grit then put a coat of epoxy over it?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-197.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:40PM

Personally, I wouldn't use sandpaper, although I know many builders use it successfully, my personal concern would be getting some grit caught in the fresh epoxy.

As I stated previously, I would take the high spots down with a scalpel or razor, and then recoat.

Chances are, if the ridges were low enough, I would just recoat.

I usually put 6-8 coats of epoxy over my feathers, and have experienced fuzz, bugs, and hair in my epoxy; but I just trim those sections down and recoat.

Truthfully, this is common, so don't overthink it! Lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster