I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Collet Chucks on a lathe
Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: February 07, 2012 09:48AM

I recently acquired an old lathe and I installed a cheap 4 jaw center chuck on it. But to tell you the truth, there is not much dancing room and I am either going to catch a knuckle and loose a finger or bump my elbow on it. I thought about making a guard from expanding metal, but I am looking for an alternate to that in possibly installing a collect chuck. Like I said, my space is already limited and I thought a collet may give me a little more area and less worry of a chunk of iron showing me the business end of my finger or hand. In short, does anyone else use a collet and would it be a feasible solution. The thread coming from the lathe is 3/4 X 16 TPI. I keep finding expandable collets for bowl making. I saw a dremel style collet in the pictures in the library and looking for something of the same nature. Any suggestions?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collet Chucks on a lathe
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 10:05AM

Garey I have two Beall collet chucks and one from Penn State Ind. and use them way more than I use my four jaw chucks. Do a search for Beall lathe tools and you should see the sizes that are available. Match it up with mandrels from 10" to 14" and you could make any combination of grips and sizes you want. You can see and try it out when you come over to pick up your items that I ordered for you.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2012 10:32AM

Collet chucks are the most precise, certainly more so than you'd need for any rod building operation. But if you want them, try Grizzly Industrial Tools. They'll have a set to fit your lathe.

Date: February 07, 2012 11:01AM

Thanks Lance & Tom, I will check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 11:34AM by Garey Elkins.

Posted by: Jon conner (---.burl.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 01:19PM

A large Jacobs chuck is really easy, precise and simple. I think you can get them as big as the ID of your spindle.
JC

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2012 01:42PM

That's a great idea as well, and probably less expensive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 02:59PM

These Taig accessories all work well on a 3/4 X 16 headstock. Note the various collet type sets.

[www.taigtools.com]

or:

[www.positiveflow.com]

If you look at item 1052 - which is the full circle jaw set for the three jaw chuck, you will find that this style set of jaws almost totally eliminates the "banging the finger" issue.

i.e. there is a virtual circle of spinning metal, rather than the bars that is the case with the common 3 and 4 jaw chuck head design.

I use the Taig 3-jaw chuck with the associated full circle set of jaws and find that it works very well for holding the work with little concern for banging fingers.

I also have keyless chucks which chuck into the mt - hole in the head stock. I have a similar keyless chuck which plugs into the MT hole in the tail stock of the lathe. I also frequently use both of these chucks for various turning chores. These keyless chucks are particularly nice when it comes to doing things like turning butt caps. etc.

The keyless chucks are similar to these from Penn State industries:

[www.pennstateind.com]

For example, if you want do do some center boring, these keyless chucks work very well to hold a bit in the tail stock while spinning the work piece to insure a perfectly centered hole in the work piece.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
When your lathe is fully rigged, you will have spent several times the original price of the lathe for the accessories to make it the perfect working tool for you.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 07:13PM

I use a very compact collet system that uses ER20 spring type collets. It's the safest thing I have found, and gives you extra working room.

Got mine from one of the wood crafting web sites, and it threads on to the 1"-8 thread.

Good Luck,

Marc

Posted by: Jon conner (---.burl.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 07:50PM

The Jacobs chucks I was referring to, hollow body spindle nose chucks, are no longer being made, so they would have to be found in the used market, too bad.
JC

They were also 1 1/2 X 8TPI which fits SB, Atlas, etc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 09:35PM by Jon conner.

Date: February 07, 2012 11:45PM

I am thinking this might fit the bill and it has the 3/4 16 adapter.

[www.woodturnerscatalog.com]

Re: Colet Chucks on a lathe
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 08:30AM

Garey,
A set of Colet chucks will work just fine if you are working with standard mandrels etc.
But if you are working with rod or handle stock of irregular sizes, you will still have good use for a variable size chuck.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster