I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

more on reel lubrication?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:49AM

Hello again, I got the lubrication specs for my reels, there is one part I cannot understand, it says grease then it says "mix with part", then theres a place where they say to use clutch grease, is that a thicker grease then like the Hot Sauce grease? oh, and there's another part where it says, "Anti-seize-on thread", Sorry to be asking all these ?'s, but I just would like to know what these mean. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: more on reel lubrication?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 12:24PM

Lorenzo

1. The part that says mix with part - is the incorrect translation of the words, " apply to part". Just get the grease on the gears.
2. Where it says clutch grease, I would use reel oil. Generally speaking, unless the part is actually gears, you typically don't want grease on that part.
3. When it says to use anti-seize on the thread, apply anti-seize compound. Anti-seize compound is an aluminum colored paste, that when applied to a threaded shaft, keeps the nuts from sticking to the threads.

[www.permatex.com]

Note:
Lorenzo, you have to be sure to differentiate between gear grease for the gears, reel oil for sliding parts and

"drag lubrication" - whether it is none, oil, or grease.

Many reels have a drag system that requires a very particular material to be effective when fighting fish. It may be no lube, it may be a specific type of oil, it may be a specific type of grease, or it may be some other combination of materials.
Be sure to refer to the particular reel lube requirements and follow them to the letter in this very particular area of reel maintenance.
For example, here is one type lube for one type reel drag.
[reviews.basspro.com]

But, this particular material may apply to only certain reels of that manufacture, and or it may be used on other reels of different manufacture. It is up to the person maintaining the reel to be 100% sure on what is needed to correctly maintain the drag system on the particular reel being maintained.

Nothing worse than
a. having a drag lock up when fighting a fish or
b. having a drag change when fighting a fish.

Both of these conditions are caused either by a defective drag system or incorrect maintenance in the form of cleaning and or incorrect material on the drag system.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.qni.biz)
Date: January 13, 2012 01:16PM

My experience would lead me to advise against the use of the Hot Sauce lubes, especially the grease. It thickens and gums up over time. Email me if you'd like more detailed advice on maintaining your reels.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 01:59PM

Thanks Roger, for clearing that up for me, I wonder if anti-seize thread is really necessary, I had a bait caster for like 3yrs now , and the nuts hasn't stuck yet, but it is probably a good idea, Thanks , by the way how would I know if my drag pads needs grease or not?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 02:52PM

Lorenzo,
You need to read the manual and see what it says about any thing on the drag pads.

Roger

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2012 06:40PM

use cals reel drag grease. best on market, smear it on the metal disk and any were there is metal and the fiber disk go together, not to much just enough for your finger print is left in it then your ready to go.
on the anti seize just use regular reel grease on the treads not anti seize that stuff is like the clap it want go away. a good grease is super lube, or abu garcia grease try to stay away from ardent its not worth the money.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:49AM

I've had guys drop off reels for me to clean & lube , one reel had been filled to the top with anti-seize WHAT A MESS ! another was a mitchell 300 with a grease zirc on the back ans pumped full with thick black grease , wonder why these reels did not function properly ?
Any "blue" grease will work and just a thin coat on all moving parts , I use PENN LUBE its blue and does a good job ! Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster