I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help I.D aluminum rod
Posted by: Ryan Weaver (173.19.117.---)
Date: January 02, 2012 01:52PM

I was tiold I mihgt be able to get some help on this site.

Im sure its not woth anything, but I still like to know what I have.

Anyway here is what I know about it.

55 inches long
2 peices that screw together
Appears the handle is hand carved
Bottom of handle has the word Canada on it ;hard to see in pics:
Has only 2 eyelets.
Also its all aluminum minus the wooden handle.

So any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help I.D aluminum rod
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 03:34PM

Wow! thats the first rod I have seen like that! Good luck on finding the info on it. Tight lines!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2012 04:07PM

Very unusual rod. Judging from the hardware and handle, it's almost certainly pre-1940.

Date: January 02, 2012 04:22PM

Ya tell me about it Iv been searching for a few days and found nothig lol.
So you think pre 40s maybe?
Ill try that in a search and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea.

Pleae keep them coming lol

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2012 04:27PM

It's at least that old, perhaps a tad older. Aluminum rods weren't seen very often prior to about 1935. Most were made in the 40's and 50's. But those were spun and had much more modern seat/handle hardware.

Date: January 02, 2012 04:48PM

Hmm good info now were getting somewhere lol.

Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 08:14PM

Have you put a magnet on it?

I have seen several rods like this, but they were all made from steel.

Take care

Roger

Date: January 02, 2012 10:50PM

Ya I would go see if a magnat would stick but someone locked my keys in the shop lol

But im pretty pos it aluminum

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 06:30AM

Ryan,

You have a child's rod, often sold as part of a kit including a breathtakingly cheap baitcasting reel, line and accessories. Made by a few different manufacturers; the most common being Vim Mfg. Co. Date range is, in general 1920-50, with most being from 1930-1940. Almost all of these rods, due to the price point (cheap) were made of tubular or solid steel - aluminum was a more expensive material. Decent example of the breed, but they don't have a lot of current collector interest, so not a high value piece - maybe $15-20 on a good day. Hope this helps.

Date: January 03, 2012 06:13PM

Thanks for that info Peter.
I had also emailed a guy and sent him pics as well. He said that it was a steel rod and dated 20-30s.
He said same value arournd 25ish like you have siad but this was in steel.
does it being aluminum give a bit more value?

Video i made of it
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 06:14PM by Ryan Weaver.

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 09:02PM

Ryan,
If the rod is indeed aluminum, as it appears from the video, it pushes the date toward the later end of the range, as Tom has suggested. The cast slide-on guides also suggest a later date - the earlier ones were usually slide-on twisted wire or were soldered to the steel shafts. The handle, although an early style, was produced for quite a long time - they were substantially the same on those made both before and after WWII. Value might be $10 or so higher, but, unless you hit the right person, it may not bring that in any given @#$%&. The paint loss on the reel seat and the bend in the top section will tend to offset the increase in value due to an aluminum shaft. It's an interesting piece; if you decide to keep it, you might look for one of the really cheaply made non-multiplier (handle attached directly to the spool spindle) nickel-plated, round side plate reels to mount on it. Correct line would be black braided nylon, about 15 lb. test.

Date: January 03, 2012 09:36PM

Thanks again Peter.
Ya I knew from get go it wasnt worth alot lol. But if I keep something I like to know what it is lol. That way if a person asked I can give a answer other then. um its a old rod lol.

Ill prob do like ya said. Make it look pretty and take the bend out of the end piece and toss it on the wall :)

Thanks again for all that gave input.

Now would like to know who made it lol but the info I have now is good :)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 08:15AM

Good idea
make a plaque with as much info as you can find A Google Search should come up with something

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2012 11:32AM

What Peter said pretty much sums it up , those tin reels can be found out there , I found one made by Winchester and concider it of some value , if you could find a Canadian one it would up the value a bunch ! Larry

Date: January 07, 2012 12:10PM

Im ztill neuu to thi. Got any linkz or picz of zomething im looking for?

Zorry for the typoz the correct keyz are not orking on my laptop for zome reazon. lol Im not a nazi lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster