I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver sprung my wrap
Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:31PM

i'm a novice rod builder,
i usually use the mudhole threads and really like them. i decided to try the pacific bay threads, the colors were really nice.so i made up a wand with all the colors i just got (5) and coated some with and without the color preserver . i expected there to be a difference, but not to the extent that i got. so i went ahead and made a child's rod with a diamond wrap pattern. when i put on the color preserver, it blew out , the lines spread, twisted in all directions, when i tried to straighten them out it was a mess. what happened. what did i do wrong? they weren't too tight or loose, or so i thought. has anyone had this problem? thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver sprung my wrap
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:57PM

It does sound like tension ??

One trick is to put a drop or two of CP on all cross wraps Let them set well and then CP the whole wrap

Even if you CP the whole wrap you should - babysit - the wrap and while the CP sets you can move threads and adjust and with a hair dryer set them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2011 02:47PM

Were you using NCP?

Date: November 07, 2011 04:12PM

Good question I only use regular nylon cause of the nicer color

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 04:13PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 04:16PM

Had the same thing happen to me. Wrapped pac bay and gudebrod and fishawk side by side same tension. Pac bay got like a bag of worms. Gave it all away. The only thing I'll use is black with no color preserver. Rep from pac bay couln't understand why-neither could I.

Date: November 08, 2011 11:33AM

thank you all for the info,
i can only guess that while i was tying the wrap that the thread twisted more than usual as it ran through my fingers as i was aligning it.
to answer your question tom, no it wasn't ncp.
I'm just gonna have to practice some more with the pacific bay thread. I've been using the mud hole threads for a while now and only tried the PB because of the colors. but they sort of lost their sheen when i put on the CP on it also. i'll keep it on the side for now and just stick to the prowrap at least they have that nice glow after burnishing.
thanks again for the responses.
hope to see you all at the rod builder's show.

Date: November 08, 2011 02:27PM

Any regular nylon thread will become dull after applying CP But the color comes right back when finish is put on Plus NCP thread looks dull or flat _ to me

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2011 02:40PM

Ofer,
we had a similar experience in one of our classes. When Gudebrod was initially going out of business and we couldn't get the variety of colors we needed we substituted PacBay Thread in the Regular Nylon. Well when the students in the class started applying color preserver about half of them had the guides start falling off. The thread just swelled up and the guides came out. After checking it out we realized the only problem was with the PacBay thread. After returning to the shop we did some tests and found that there wasn't an issue with the NCP but with the RN you needed to apply more tension to keep it together. You might just try increasing the tension and see what happens.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2011 03:01PM

Ofer,

Sometime ago we experienced the same problem but on a much larger scale. That experience has taught us it was the Pac Bay thread, not your technique.

In a rod building class Mud Hole was teaching with about 30 students who had never built a rod, Mud Hole started using PB thread because GB was no longer available. The 30 students wrapped Pac Bay nylon thread (size D & each student had their own spool and color), the wraps looked fine. When the 30 students applied CP to the wraps, all 30 of the students started having problems with the wraps coming lose and the guides began falling off. As you can imagine this was very frustrating to new students (and the instructors) all having to re-wrap guides which had taken them hours to wrap in the first place. Needless to say the class ran longer than expected but the rod got completed.

We had never experienced this problem before (and we have taught well over 1,000 students in several hundred classes around the US). So when MH returned to the from the class, we did some testing with several brands of thread, with and without CP. We found the PB Nylon thread would loosen up, or unravel and the guides come lose and fall out. We concluded based on the class experience and our testing it was the PB thread. We no longer use PB thread in the classes. We switched to ProWrap and have not had any further problems. Good luck with your future builds.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: November 08, 2011 03:17PM

Ofer unhide your e-mail

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 09, 2011 09:50AM

wow, you guys are the best!
I feel a whole lot better now..lol.. got my confidence back.
i guess when i made my sample dowel i did make it tighter than normal. but at a closer inspection those threads spread out too. ok, so i'm just going to stick to mudhole's ncp threads. i haven't had a problem with those, ever, and now with the new colors..(more experimentation)
thx again for all your help and advice. and i unhid my e-mail bill.

Date: November 09, 2011 12:45PM

With NCP thread it will not look as nice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Nelson (---.dhcp.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 12:15AM

I am a new guy learning! This is a great post. I have been going through this thread thing also. I have had good luck with the NCP. Today is the first time I had to use CP on a wrap.
Thanks again for everyones information.
Bill / jig-guy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster