I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to make a rod wrapper
Posted by: marc trejo (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 04:10PM

Hello my name is marc. I am new at rod building I have redone a rod and getting ready to redo 2 more I bought at a flea market for practice. My question what are some good easy ideas for making a rod wrapper. I have a motor and foot pedal from an old sewing machine. I have 1x 4's. I know what to do withem as far as rod stands . But what would be an inexpensive rod chuck to hook up. I eventually want to make custom rods and lures. I live in texas so I do a lot of saltwater fishing while on a kayak and very passionate about fishing. Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: how to make a rod wrapper
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 05:24PM

Welcome

First off here is a site from here that has a list of builders you can get in touch with - and learn from [www.tackleworks.org]

next when i started I built my own -- wrapper - lath- finisher - plus What i did was look at every one made and took different ideas from each that I liked The photo page has a lot of ones builders have made - [www.rodbuilding.org]

And of course here and ask questions

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 09:22PM

The flex coat - self adjusting chuck will work just fine for wrapping and or drying rods.

[www.flexcoat.com]

You can either purchase one, or you can spend about $2, and make one your self from a PVC end cap, a bit of neoprene material, and a plastic tie wrap.
I made several like this one a few years ago, and still use them today on my dryers. But, they will also work just fine on your wrapper as well:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You can also make one with a round wood disk about 2-3 inches in diameter and put in three bolts that stand off of the boad about 2 inches. Then, just put heavy rubber bands between adjacent bolts.
Attach the board to the end of your motor shaft. To use the chuck, simply slip the rod handle into each pair of rubber bainds and you will have a nice snug self centering chuck.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 09:27PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 09:29PM

Here is a copy of the search results from the forum photo page using the word "chuck"

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Lots and lots of examples of various chucks used by various users in the rod building world.

Roger

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: October 04, 2011 11:49PM

Im in the process of building one myself... Here is a link to the thread I started... There are many MANY bits of info that will help you as it has helped me.

[rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster