I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Band Saw
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 04:07PM

I'm looking start getting into segmented turning for wooden handles. Is a band saw necessary? Can I get by with my miter saw or table saw with sled?

If band saw is better I'm looking to get a used, smaller, benchtop model. Any recommendations of what to get or what to avoid?

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Band Saw
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 04:26PM

I cna't tell you for wood, but for EVA it is pretty much neccesary. IT is no thte most precise tool. I am about 95% sure hte table saw and miter saw will work with the right size blade.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2011 04:33PM

While all power tools demand respect, the band saw is considered a relatively safe power tool because the blade's cutting direction pulls the workpiece down onto the table. A table saw cuts toward you and anyone that's ever experienced a kick-back on one knows how dangerous that can be.

The problem is magnified with EVA because it's so much softer than wood. I once tried to square up an end on a stationary belt sander and had a 2 inch square piece of EVA get drawn through and out a space that was less than 3/16th inch wide. Took about a quarter second for it to happen. Glad I was able to let go or may hands would have gone through as well.

Now having said all this, if you use reasonable safety precautions you can make any of these tools work. I've used a chop saw with a fine tooth blade to make very accurate cuts in EVA. Probably more accurate than I can make on the band saw. But I just don't like doing it. Not with EVA. I stick with the band saw.

A hand saw with a mitre box would certainly be a good option. EVA isn't hard to cut by hand and you can get very accurate cuts that way.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 07:26PM

Chad -
You wrote "wooden handles" - in my opinion you will do better with your existing miter saw or a chop saw with miter & fence. A band saw will also work if you have a m a way to keep the work lined up during the cut but would not be my first choice for wood.

Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 08:20PM

Chad , I agree with Ken. A decent "miter saw " will do a excellent job. As a professional finish carpenter I personally hate the term "chop saw " This is a saw that will not do miters and is used with an abrasive blade to cut metal. Sorry JMHO!

Dave Norton

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-255-71.myvzw.com)
Date: September 22, 2011 08:25PM

Another option is a scroll saw. Whether cutting wood or eva, you'll have excellent control. Even a new one from one of the discount tool suppliers is pretty inexpensive. You will be able to cut some wild "Billy" angles.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Date: September 22, 2011 08:39PM

David -
You're spot on ... I should not have typed "chop saw".

Joe -
I will have to look at scroll saws (haven't in awhile). I think they'd work fine too, but I'd feel better with a fence to keep everything lined up.
I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to clamp a temporary fence in place though I think an adjustable fence like on a table saw would be better.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.17.44.---)
Date: September 22, 2011 09:21PM

Since posing my question I have also learned that a smaller band saw may not be a good fit since the blade may tend to wander, at least compared to a really good floor model. That's not on my radar at this point.
I'll mess around with the tools that I already have. I can create some thin bands with my planer too.

Joe, I do have a scroll saw so we'll see what I can come up with.

I'm currently doing a rod for my wife that'll feature some pyrography on the handle so am looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: September 22, 2011 09:58PM

A chop saw can mount any number of blades, including wood cutting blades. I would never attempt to cut wood or EVA with an abrasive disk. That wouldn't be the right tool for the job.

Date: September 23, 2011 08:03AM

The scroll saw is difficult to cut straight with. For makinf straight ccut in a block of wood I wouldn't go that route.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2011 08:04AM

a band saw can be used, but you will need more than a benchtop model and really know how to tune it and keep it tuned...i would recommend a table saw or miter saw..they will give you a rigid blade and fence...make sure you are using a good blade or you will need to sand your pieces...the tolerances with wood(or any other hard material) are very small..you can get away with more on cork or eva...and as always be careful around your tools

Date: September 23, 2011 08:47AM

"...make sure you are using a good blade"

Another way to say that is, to use a blade with more teeth. Finer cuts require more blade teeth. The blade that works best for rough carpentry purposes isn't what you'll want for cutting your segmented pieces.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:28AM

If you like, you could use a chain saw, but it has to have very very very fine teeth, and you need a very steady hand.
Of course a hocky mask does not hurt either.

It is getting close to Haloween isn't it?

Roger

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 23, 2011 09:02PM

Hi Chad I just bought a floor model from Grizzly Tools, haven't finished setting it up yet but in comparison to table top models this was a no brainer for me. I had to wait a while to buy one but am glad I didn't buy cheap as I have with other tools. Reviews online were very helpful in my decision. Model # of saw G0555 I got the polar model for 425 before tax and was able to pickup my self. Check them out for your self.

Mike

Date: September 24, 2011 08:56AM

The G0555 in show white is an awesome tool!!! SteveZ has one, I WISH I got that instead of hte benchtop model I got. That bandsaw has a great fence, miter, ruler markings, the table is easy to tolt, belt changing is a breeze, ball bearing blocks or whatever they are called. HAve fun wiht that, I'm jealous!!!

Date: September 24, 2011 10:54AM

Now THAT is a nice bandsaw & it has all the whistles (fence, miter, tilt)... I sure wish I had that instead of my clunky bench top saw

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster