I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best off the shelf Bass Cranking rod?
Posted by: Alan Wiedmeyer (---.emdiesels.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 09:32AM

There are many companies that make Cranking rods and it is hard to distinguish which ones stand out from others as far as quality/$ amount. If you had to pick one right off the shelf, what would you choose and why? Also, in your hunt for this perfect Cranking rod, what characteristics are important to look for (i.e. action, backbone, blank diameter, rod length, handle length, guide system, graphite modulus amount?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best off the shelf Bass Cranking rod?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 09:47AM

I build my own because they better suit what i need than any off the shelf one i have ever seen at any price point.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 10:15AM

To me, none of the off the shelf crankbaits rods give me what I want in a rod compared to the one I am making now.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.sub-174-254-131.myvzw.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 10:19AM

Suggestions:
Change "graphite modulus amount" to "materials of construction"
Which one crankbait are you using?
Skill level of the user?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 10:21AM

If you have a "perfect all round crankbait lure" you use for cranking and desire to know the desired characteristics of the rod that matches use the Contact Us Link at:

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

We will answer ALL your questions and put you in contact with a custom builder that will built it for you or sell you all the parts as a kit to start your new hobby!.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 10:27AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: August 09, 2011 12:06PM

Thanks guys, and I know...nothing compares to a rod built for a specific application. I am still new to the innerworkings of material and construction for different situations. I am looking for a 100-150 dollar rod that is sensitive to vibration for throwing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I know the rod will not be perfect for say a medium sized crankbait that dives 3-6'...but it will be good enough to match up with various types of cranks and spinnerbaits to give me the feedback when that bait stops vibrating. So if there are specific brands better than others...i.e. Shimano, GLoomis, Fenwick, All Star, Dobyns...etc I want to know what direction to head in.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 12:33PM

Alan, contact me and I'll send you some info on technique specific rods.

To contact me, visit
[www.snyderrods.com]

Date: August 09, 2011 01:11PM

just sent you an email Gary, thanks for the help!

Posted by: Don Morse (99.102.149.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 01:47PM

What is an "off the shelf rod"?..... lol

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:11PM

ST Croix Mojo Bass. Good bang for the buck.

RJH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:36PM

Do a Google Search on the fish you are after
Wright them down -- then go too Wally World and pull one off the shelf

If you have friends that fish the same try there rods -- till you find what YOU like

We do not build - off the shelf rods At least I don't -- Plus i guarantee my builds

Also try a Search here for recommendations [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 03:37PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: August 09, 2011 04:40PM

Rob,

As I am sure that you WONT find those rods at Wal-Mart you can start with contacting the team at Swampland and they can help you in all regards of your question.

Tom

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 07:43PM

Alan that's a pretty tough question to be asking on a rod building forum.
You've gotten the answers I suspected - we build our own because we can
make the type of rod you can't get off the shelf.
St. Croix is one of the few rods you'll see on the shelf that also sells the rod
blanks to builders like us.
I would take some of the guys help, talk to them, you'll learn a lot, they are pros..
I can tell you I built a crankbait rod a couple months ago recommended by Lance at
Swampland Tackle and it is great!!.Tell them what you want and I'll guarantee they give you a great rod too...

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 10:16PM

Can't go wrong with the bayou boys.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 10:41AM

What YOU are looking for is described in your text:

You can find production rods at any retail outlet -

Are they the correct one?

Your knowledge and experience will always be driver in your selection. Be careful concerning the marketing words associated with each production rod. The words sell the rods to purchasers with limited information. Your description and present skill set is the target market for most production rods. Their description of Super Professional XCX Ultra High Modulus is in place to make the sale today of the wonder rod for all techniques!

Your post: "I am looking for a 100-150 dollar rod that is sensitive to vibration for throwing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I know the rod will not be perfect for say a medium sized crankbait that dives 3-6'...but it will be good enough to match up with various types of cranks and spinnerbaits to give me the feedback when that bait stops vibrating."

There are many brands of production rods that will compete with marketing words that will lead you to believe that THEIR rod is a natural choice in order to make the sale. You left off quite a few that fall within your price point range.

The rod must do other things other than provide you with "feed back" concerning lure vibration.

The rods used for the two baits you note, i.e., crankbait and spinner bait require different action and power characteristics due to one significant thing -

The type of hook! Cranks trebel - Spinner Bait Single Point!

The type of hook determines what happens during other important periods of use _ engagement/hookset, fish control and final capture.

If you are dead set on finding a production rod on a rack in a store.:

Suggest from 6' 9" to 6' 10.5" in length.

Determine the maximum lure weight you want to throw and look for one that is labeled for that weight.

If there is a choice select the one with the smallest guides which has the lowest weight. - get the warranty papers and read them.

If you use a spinnerbait the most select a rod rated Fast.

Select a rod rated ML if you lure weight is under 1/2 oz. Normally has a 2 as the last number on the label

Select a rod rated M if your lure weight is under 3/4 oz. Normally has a 3 as the last number on the label.

F you use a crankbait the most select a rod described as a composite and rated Mod to Mod Fast.

Select the one with the shortest rear grip - 9.5 inches measured from the back of the rod to the end of the cork intersection with the reel seat.

Put your reel of choice on the rod in the store prior to purchase and validate balance point - close to reel seat midpoint is preferred.

Select the one that has the best appearing finish on the guides - are they straight -

Or

Contact Swampland and we will have a builder builder build one for you at your price point.

Good luck on your quest.

Swampland Tackle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 12:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 05:25PM

they will build you a rod better then a Store Rod . It may cost a little more But it will be a lot better

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2011 12:15PM

thanks guys for your replies, and I agree...maybe this question was not meant for a rod building forum, because I know the quality you guys produce is a lot nicer. This will be no off the shelf WalMart brand rod, I have mainly higher end bass pro and duckett rods in my arsenal currently. The rod I currently am looking at is a Fenwick HMX 7'0 M strength fast tip rod. Bill thank you for the advice, if I decide to get one built I will call you guys!

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 13, 2011 10:12AM

Alan,
Come out and fish with the club in the Sept. event and I'll have a few you can check out. For off the shelf and fishing in our area on the rivers I'd recommend the St. Croix Avid 70MHM . We can do ALOT better custom, but for off the shelf that's what I'd look at.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster