I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat uplock or downlock
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2001 11:52AM

Building an 8'9" 4 wt cant decide what type seat to use . I've only used uplocks on the 3 rods I built. Im going to put a downlock on the bamboo rod im redoing but wonder about the new graphite 4wt?

Im told that downlock seats balance the rod a little better and down locks are the classic configuration. Why did uplock seats get so popular?

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat uplock or downlock
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 18, 2001 04:24PM

John,

Which way you choose the mount the seat is really just personal preference. One way may well balance the rod better than the other so that is something to consider.

In one of our previous issues of RodMaker this year, we showed how to modify a seat so that both hoods are moveable and therefore the rod can be balanced by shifting the reel fore or aft. Moving it just a little changes the balance drastically, as you can well imagine. Just an idea to consider.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2001 12:44AM

I think the reason that uplock reelseats became popular is that you can lean your rod & reel against a wall or a tree without the reel touching the ground. (I know that I've had customers tell me that's why they wanted an uplock seat) Also, with the use of fighting butts, you just get a little more extension. I like the look of a hidden hood under the cork too which makes an uplock more "fashionable". One more point; I've always felt that I could put more torque on the nuts with an uplock seat thus having a more secure grip on the reel.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2001 10:27PM

I used to use mostly downlocking. Now I use uplock a lot. I think the reason uplocks are so poplar is because there is a little less rotational torque with the reel close to the hand. And they look neat with the western grip and the recessed reel hood. Downlocks seem to be better for static balance while fishing the rod. But I find myself moving my hand down onto the reel seat while casting some of them.

I would want to be pretty sure I liked the downlock before I put it. Try taping the reel at both positions and casting the rod first.

Posted by: J.W. (---.tnt3.tucson.az.da.uu.net)
Date: October 21, 2001 06:03PM

When you finally hook that 30 inch trout that you have been casting to for 3 hours and he makes that really strong first run and a coil of your loose fly line wraps around your uplocking reel seat you might then wonder why you went to an uplocking reel seat.
I like to keep it simple. Same reason I'll not buy wadding shoes with speed lace type hooks. Just my 2 cents worth.-----JW

Posted by: Alberto (---.cordoba.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: October 24, 2001 01:13AM

Good posted !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster