I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bent butt section
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 07:37PM

I have an old 5-star Garcia Conolon surf rod. One of the grandkids fell on it last trip out this season and now the butt section below the reel seat is bent. Just slightly but it is noticably deformed. The thing is, it isn't broken and appears to be plenty strong. How can a rod blank be bent that far and not broken? I assume this is just a fiberglass blank and would break if you took it too far past straight. I am serious when I say it is solid as all get out. Just bent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bent butt section
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.jpmorgan.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 07:50PM

Can you tell if it Is it the grip, or the actual rod. From what I understand, a lot of rods were built with an aluminum extension which the reel seat & the butt grip were built on. If you can see the actual blank is bent, then I apologize

Billy

Date: October 16, 2001 08:05PM

It's below the seat so I can't actually see the blank. Maybe I'll pop the butt cap off and see what the heck is down there. I had no idea the butt section might be aluminum or something. The part that comes out of the foregrip is fiberglass for sure. Thanks.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 08:47PM

a lot of those rods were built with an aluminum sleeve over the blank the grips and reel seat were mounted on the sleeves and then slid down and gluded onto the blank, it was faster that way then glueing the orginal parts directly to the blank.

Posted by: Bob (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 17, 2001 12:40AM

John is correct. When Garcia purchased and came into the Conolon picture, they started using aluminum tubing in the butt section, which the handle was mounted on. You most likely have bent the aluminum tubing.
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks
Forecast Rod Components

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 09:44AM

This was done in order to facilitate the speed with which rods could be assembled. Handles would be built separately from the rods on a tube which was verbatim in size from handle to handle. This also made it possible to build handles in one place and rods in another. Handles and rods were joined afterwards.

It wasn't a bad way to do things, either. To this day I sometimes use the same technique to alter the length of a rod if I cannot find a blank that is exactly the length I need.

Date: October 17, 2001 11:24AM

The largest problem I have seen with using the tube method lies in trying to some repairs on the unit when necessary, and in some of the materials used for the tube,have even run into custom rods made with heavy copper tubing a horror to try and remove

Date: October 17, 2001 03:20PM

I always enjoyed repairing those old surf rods with the aluminum butt sections - you could cut, grind, sand or whatever, without worrying about damaging the blank. And without any taper on the tubing, you could reinstall a grip or seat from the butt end.

And you know, for their time those were very good quality rods. I once took apart a Fenwick surf rod, probably 1970's vintage, that remains one of the best constructed rods, either commercially or custom made, that I have ever seen. It didn't have the aluminum butt section, but had so much attention to detail in various areas that I couldn't understand how they could have spent so much time on it and still made a profit. Some of the older and now defunct companies did the same thing. Perhaps that's why they are no longer around. Sad.

Date: October 17, 2001 03:32PM

Tom I don't doubt what you say but the vast majority of the ones in need of repair were the low end imports which contain virtually no quality at all,after a little use the eva grips could be peeled off the aluminum sleeve and only the lowest end reel seats were used always ended up being cheaper to buy another low end rod. I guess like most things in rodbuilding it all comes back to who is doing the building and how much care they put into the assembly

Date: October 17, 2001 05:40PM

John,

I would agree. Yet the ones I was speaking of were the old Fenwicks, Harnells, Heddons, Silaflex, etc. At one point in time, they made a very high quality product. To my knowledge, they were produced here in the U.S..

Date: October 17, 2001 10:11PM

You guys were right. I popped off the butt cap and it is a tube. I suppose it is aluminum alright. I had no idea they were ever made that way. Well, that solved that. Thanks.

Conolon
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.93.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 10:31PM

These are some of the best made factory rods that I have ever worked on. The glass was strong and you flat couldn't break the butt section in the normal course of fishing.

Replacing the cork and seats is a dream compared to tapered butt rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster