I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for long distance casting rod
Posted by: Dave F. (---.ipset35.wt.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 03:27PM

Hello Everyone:

I'm getting ready to build a long distance bait casting rod (for fishing, not tournament) on a Breakaway 12'6" 2pc-1pc lite blank. I wanted to use the new concept system, and in hopes of keeping the rod light was planning on using single foot guides out on the tip. But I just recieved some negative input about using the singles, from someone who builds a lot of these rods. It was second hand info, and all I got out of it was that it had something to do with the power of the blank (I don't see what that would have to do with it). I had gotten the impression that the singles were plenty strong. And am now kinda lost. Can anyone give me some advice about what to do.

Thanks
Dave F.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for long distance casting rod
Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 03:34PM

Dave,
I have built several surf rods using Fuji BLVLG single foot guides for the end guides. It has been a mix of both castins and spin and have not hade one problem with them. No twisting of the guide, no coming out of the thread, none of the problems that the "experts" told me I would have.
I am finishing up a SW1208 Rainshadow and am using BLVLG12's & BLVLG16's for the last sets of guides.
All I can suggest is tape on some singles, cast it and note distance and feel and switch to double foot guides and see what the diifference is.

Good Luck

Bill OConnor
non certified rod builder

Posted by: Dave F. (---.ipset35.wt.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 04:27PM

Thanks I'm going to give what you suggested a shot.

Have you ever tried one of the Breakaway rods? I have a factory 11"6' 2pc, and using the pendulum cast am able to throw a pully rig with a 5oz. weight, and big chunk of mullet out consistantly over 100 yards, in a pretty good head wind. So you can see why I can't wait to get started on my new rod.

Thanks for the input
Dave F.

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 06:00PM

Dave am in the process right now of having a 71/2ft spinner built for my son. I do all the work with the exception of actually wrapping and finishing the guides. I have a professional do that because I no longer have the equipment nor the hands,arthritis, to accomplish that part.
Because of the spinning reel to be used(no upsweep in the head) I wound-up using a combination of guide styles; the last 5 were the Fuji alconite fly guides. The line will be 12 lb mono.
This was my 1st attempt and I used Tom Kirkman's description to accomplish the job. It worked like a charm. I have no qualms about using the fly guides simply because they're used on fly rods that are used to catch Pelagics like Tuna, Marlin,Sailfish,etc., so a Striped Bass,Red Drum, Trout or Bluefish won't present a problem as far as I can figure. Warren

Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: October 16, 2001 11:36PM

most tournie rods uses double footed guides due to the heavy weights they cast. If it aint gonna be used for tournaments and the weights cast are more in line with those normally fished their is no reason why you cant use single footed guides
For a threadline setup have a look at BYVLG not BL the longer feet give you better spool alignent If it is to be used with an overhead reel consider BSVLGs as the distances between guides on a long rod can put a lot of compressional force on the single footed guides.

hope this helps
Allen Glover
Shearwater Custom Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 09:48AM

If you are worried about the single leg/foot guides from a durability standpoint, you have some valid concerns. But it's not fishing that will damage them - it's rough handling. From that standpoint, you'd want to use the lowest single foot guides you can find. This reduces the chances of bending or deforming a guide from rough handling. This would also tend to cause you to use more guides, but due to the light weight it won't likely hurt.

In the Volume 4 #6 issue of RodMaker we will be featuring the Forhan Locking Wrap for single foot guides which is an even further improvement over the more common security type wrap. It will positively eliminate any chance the guide can escape from the wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster