I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Certified Professional Rod Builder
Posted by: marcus (---.alltel.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 01:37PM

Looking at the strings today I noticed that one of them was signed
"Certified Professional Rod Builder". Can anyone explain the process to become certified and who does the certification.

thanks

marcus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Certified Professional Rod Builder
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 16, 2001 02:14PM

Marcus,
This is a designation through membership with the Custom Rod Builders Guild followed by an examination and project resulting in the certificate from the organization stating this status.

It may become more recognized as the newly reorganized Guild incorporated progresses for it's membership.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rod
"Certified Professional Rod Builder"

Not so
Posted by: Jim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 06:30PM

Not in my case. I was certified by a different person/group. The Guild might be the only group that can certify you as a 'guild' professional rod builder but they are not the only entity that can certify persons as 'certified professional rod builders'.

What happens is that a group, such as the one mentioned, decides that they have the power to determine who is or isn't a 'certified professional rod builder'. Then those who get that designation use it to promote themselves in an unfair manner. For example, how would you feel if a rod builder in your city got that designation and advertised that he was the only 'certified professional rod builder' in your town? Or your entire state? Do you not feel that potential customers who were uniformed about how this is bestowed might somehow think his skills must be superior to yours? After all, he is a 'certified professional rod builder' and you are not. It's misleading at best and unfair at worst, and coming to your town soon.

If they want to call the people who pass their exam 'guild certified rod builders' that is entirely up to them. But to claim that they have the authority to name those who pass their exam a 'certified professional rod builder' but those who don't pass or take it can't be 'certified professional rod builders' is the height of audacity. No one that I know of has been granted the sole rights to bestow such a title.

clarification
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 16, 2001 11:17PM

Jim,
Your points are well taken.
According to the context which is often referred, this is what is stated on the certificate:

top line: The Custom Rod Builders Guild

next line: Certified Professional Builder

next line: name

below that is the following: "This is to certify that the above named individual has successfully completed the Certification examination of the Custom Rod Builders Guild by demonstrating a mastery of the basic skills required to build a Custom Fishing Rod"

I think what happens by most convention is that members will simply state after their name "Certified Professional Rod Builder" , which is not entirely inaccurate but perhaps the title needs a bit of particular refining.

Re: clarification
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 09:39AM

Rich,

I am not sure this is an appropriate discussion for this board. I let it remain as it does concern rod building and does not violate any rules but I do not want to see it explode into a heated argument here. I have gotten calls from some builders (who knows why) who were quite upset about this title being used, so I know it is a sore point for many.

To my knowledge, anyone and everyone can list themselves as a "certified professional rod builder" without any repercussions, if they wish to do so. There is no recognized governing or testing body for the craft of rod building. But the statement does not really mean anything unless someone knows whose certification it is. Obviously, potential custom rod owners have no idea what is behind it so the statement can have a profound effect on one's business if the customer feels the title makes one builder better than another.

As an example, I would think that any and all auto mechanics can freely post that they are "certified automotive repair technicians". But in order to say that they are " ASE certified automotive repair technicians" they would have to have received that title from the ASE.

follow up
Posted by: marcus (---.165.alltel.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 11:26AM

I did not intead to start a problem and in no way intended to interupt
the good nature that this page has.

Re: follow up
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 06:01PM

Marcus,

It's not a problem. Maybe even a good topic for discussion if it is done in a civil manner.

By the way - it occurs to me that I am a "Certified Professional Rod Builder" too. (The Internal Revenue Service certifies me that way about 4 times each year!)

Tom Kirkman

Certifiable?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.93.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 10:33PM

I may not be certified but I am for sure certifiable. You have to be to put up staying in the repair business for 15 years.

Re: Certified Professional Rod Builder
Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2020 07:20AM

I belong to the CRBG on Face Book but wasn't aware of any "real" certification testing. I was an ASE Certified Technician that went through many re-certifications in my 32 years of Automotive repair. How would they go about "certifying" someone? Would it be through media? Pictures and such of the process and the final product? I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm going to ask about it on the Face Book site. I find it interesting. Also, what other Certification Organizations are there? In Automotive there were many Certification seminars I attended which consisted of dinner, a symposium and much drinking at the restaurant after. : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster