I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guides - How Long Have You Used Them?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 21, 2011 09:52AM

Does anyone have several seasons of hard use on Minima's yet (tournament bass guys where are you?)

Even if it's on a factory rod like an e21 or Fenwick.

Thanks,

Marc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 09:53AM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guides - How Long Have You Used Them?
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 21, 2011 10:35AM

Marc - are you having issues with them? I have used the Minimas on some ice rods, but no open water stuff yet - although I've been considering trying them for a couple bass rods for a friend.

Posted by: Richard Beecher (---.dhcp.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: April 21, 2011 10:58AM

I've used them for several seasons now on my flounder and red fish rods and they see a tremendous amount of almost daily use with both braid and mono. They have been my guide of choice on the inshore rods I build. I have an order in now for some to be used on a couple of off shore live bait rods. I don't foresee any problems there either.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:59AM

Mornin' Rich!

No issues yet, but this is just our second season using them a lot. I did have one rod come in for repair last week - an Airrus baitcaster used by a tournament bass angler - and it has the M4's with the TiCh finish. The guides look great, but it looks like the tip was abused - I am not sure if there is some wear on it or if it was just jammed in to too many things, as some of these guys use their rods as lure retrievers too.

One thing is for sure - I like the Minima's - no confusion here! If a ceramic tip were on that rod I don't know if it would still be there.

I know the guys I have talked to that have used early Fenwick rods with these for 10 years now still like them and have had no issues. I am just not sure what I am looking at on this rod tip, so looking for any other insight.

Thanks,

Marc

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 21, 2011 11:05AM

Using them since they became available to the public maybe just over 2 years ago?Could be more.
I know the ICRBE before the last one i bought out most of what was available. I have them on around 20 of my own rods up to 30lb braid and 20lb nylon. I have built them on others rods and they like them,never had a single come back yet with them.
I use both regular M style and TiCh versions and now rarely use the TiCh, not because they were bad, just never saw any need in freshwater.Yes they are lighter but as the regular 4 mm ones are lighter than most 3mm micros, not sure what the gain would be. Now on salt specific rods i will use the TiCh version just for rust prevention, but i never had a rust problem with regular.
No wear at all that i can see.
I have some older TiCh Minima 3 guide rods rigged that are used for around 9 or 10 years with braid and no wear issues.That is on a factory built popping rod for specs and slot reds. Fenwick rods.
Of the micros ( they may have bigger internal rings but on weight they are micro for sure) they are the easiest to tie,need no or minimal foot prep, never ever have a ring failure or have a ring that can come lose,or crack, weigh the least of the ones i have tried.
Their down side is they look odd or 'old fashioned' to some folks, they are not as eye catching as some 2 or 3mm micros. Its hard to match a tip top to them(well they do have a 4 ring minima tip now so that is sort of solved, it still LOOKS ugly to me) .
Looks are sometimes very important when you are trying to sell rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 11:07AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2011 11:20AM

Lou,
I agree on all of your points.

I do have to admit, that even though the Tich guides are more expensive, I think that they do have a bit cleaner and more modern look.

I also agree, no issues with the Minima 4 guides on many many rods for the ones that I have built in the last two years. Easy to use and easy to wrap.

The one thing that I would like to see would be the introduction of an all black, or the black and gold guide in the Minima 4 series, because I rather like that look compared to the all chrome look.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 11:22AM by roger wilson.

Date: April 21, 2011 11:50AM

I agree guys - I really like them and have had no issues. The other guides on this rod look like new, and the rod has seen a lot of tournament bass use. The more I think about it this tip has probably been abused (jammed in to stuff).

Thanks,

Marc

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 21, 2011 11:54AM

Roger, 100% agree on the black or gold or gold and black color options. I would love that as a choice. Black chrome looks sharp and would contrast well with the silver rings.
Functionally minima's are great, looks is the only place i have a slight issue, or more like some clients have one.
I have a sample rack of around 20 rods, but the minima ones are never the first rods picked up is what i am saying. Some 2 or 3 mm micro with contrasting ring color or that new wavespin guide is.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 21, 2011 03:01PM

My 5 runner guides ( # 4 gold-black minimas) all grooved last summer on a 4 wt 9' fly rod. I had a new wt forward 5 wt line on that rod. Had been using it exclusively on farm ponds for bass and bluegill in Iowa. Was cleaning my line regularly but was getting into moss and muck a lot by early July. Noticed it in preparation for a trout fishing trip to Idaho. Contacted Pac Bay about it and they were very open and helpful with me. They had me send the rod and guides back and they replaced the guides. We could not determine what had caused it. I dumped that line and assumed it was somehow the cause. I have minimas on two other fly rods and two spinning rods and have had no grooving with them. I love the look, weight and performance of them. Wish they could come up with a black-crome also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster