I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Long Reamer
Posted by: Andy Dochterman (204.54.36.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:07PM

Watching the Flex-Coat video on drilling and reaming long cork handles, they use a very long reamer...does anyone sell this type? Pros & Cons?

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Long Reamer
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:46PM

Make your own Mud hole has videos on doing this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:13PM

Irwin Speedbor at Lowe's
Same as reverse bore only longer

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:35PM

I haven't seen mudhole video but here's one from flexcoat on how to build your own power reamer [www.youtube.com].

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:21PM

Andy,

I too have that video and you can make one yourself just as Bill suggested. Is an easy thing to do. Only need a scrap piece of blank and the abrasive and some contact cement.

Tom

Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dpn.deere.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 06:39AM

That is what I figured...make my own. Luckily I had a old fiberglass blank perfect for it. Found a deal on the abrasive strip...Mcmaster carr sells 25 YARDS of it for $11...

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 08:45AM

Check Mud Holes maybe a better price

Maybe that was FlexCoat I was thinking about

I mix up rod bond and wipe a thin coat on the blank with a small piece of paper towel then tape one end of the strip on, roll it and tape the other end.
After it is rolled check for tightness before you tape the other end. I take my fingers and tighten it up.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2011 09:29AM

Roger did an article in RodMaker showing how to sharpen the back side of the bit and then shim the shank to fit the existing bore.

These things work extremely well, and very quickly. If you need to quickly enlarge the bore of a cork grip, this is the very best and easiest method for doing so.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 09:42AM

Tom where will I be able to find a copy of this.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2011 09:55AM

I'd have to go through the index to find which issue it was in. You can look in the library at the index there and maybe find it quicker than I can. It was written by Roger Seiders and would have been from at least several years ago.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:32AM

Andy,
If you already have a starting hole running all of the way through the blank so that you can ream or drill without getting off center, here is another method to enjarge the bore of the handle quickly.
For all of my reaming chores, I use round steem machinest files. I have files that are 1/4, 5/16, 3/8th, 1/2, and 5/8th inches.

In addiition I have a set of long aircraft extension bits that are each 18 inches long. These sizes run from 1/4 inch to 1 inch.

I first check my blank with a caliper to find the smallest size of the blank at the tip end of the handle and the largest size of the blank at the butt end of the handle.

Then, I will start with either one end or the other end of the handle and use the appropriate sized reamer to ream the appropriate end of the blank plus several inches up the blank to the size of that end of the handle.

Then, starting with a smaller aircraft extension bit, I will ream 1/2 way through from each end of the blank. I will use compressed air from time to time to insure that the handle bore stays clean of drill debris.

By the end of the drilling, I will have a hole that has a clean smooth hole of the correct size at the butt of the handle, and a similar correct size hole at the tip end of the handle. Then I will have corresponding holes that run 1/2 way through the handle.

The only thing that remains is to do use a reamer to clean up and even out the center of the handle for the perfect fit with a reamer.

Using this method, it generally only takes three or four minutes to ream a handle for a nice fit on a blank.

I do all of the reaming with a hand held variable speed reversible corded drill of various sizes. i.e. 1/4 inch, 3/8th inch, 1/2 inch or 5/8th inch drills. I will have a reamer of the appropriate size in each drill and simply have to pick up the right drill to do the reaming, No bit changing required. This is particularly nice when I am doing 10-20 handles at a time.

The reverse pilot bits are fine and will do a job that is similar to the aircraft extension bits, but using this method with the aircraft extension bits, I don't have to keep putting the bit in and out of the drill - threading the handle on the bit each time that I do it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 16, 2011 06:37PM

Thanks guys...Take a look and appreciate any comments...I think they turned out pretty good...especially for a rookie...

[www.frontiernet.net]

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster