I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why are 6-7' H-XH Spinning rods so hard to get vs. Conventional?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 08:05AM

I've been looking for a 6-7' spinning rod with a top casting weight of 1.5, 2 or three ounces for a long time, now. Simply can't find one of anything more than 1.25 ounces, and that rod was really too soft to handle that weight effectively. But at the same time, there are many, many baitcasters that are. A close friend of mine is now making the spinning rods I seek from conventional blanks. He says that's just the way it is.

Why is this? Why don't they have both styles of rod, apples with apples? Why am I forced to use a baitcaster to get a rod with some backbone?

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are 6-7' H-XH Spinning rods so hard to get vs. Conventional?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 09:23AM

Tony,

One reason you don't see as many heavy power spinning rods as you do conventional rods, is that they don't sell as well. Spinning reels were designed primarily for casting lighter weights with lighter lines. Most fishermen who use the type tackle you are talking about go with conventional reels.

But that's just one more reason to either build your own rod, or enlist the services of someone who can build one for you. Once you have the ability to build your own rods, you no longer have to "settle" for whatever you can find on the shelf.

Re: Why are 6-7' H-XH Spinning rods so hard to get vs. Conventional?
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 10:08AM

Or to put it another way the blank don't know what type of rod it was made for, with the advent of the super braids many builders have gone to using casting designated blanks for spiining rods they work fine,you might have to still look around to find the blank that will work best for your application,I would say look into GUSA blanks carried by many of the sponsors listed on the left.

Good reason to go custom
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 16, 2001 10:17AM

Tony,
In adding to the above which truly explain the situation, a custom rodbuilder also will be able to use the blank of choice by studying the specs. and dimensions of what you wish to accomplish. Perhaps the specific category of blank for spinning may lead to a better choice of a casting blank to cross over with. This is just another reason that custom rodbuilding can really fulfill the individual expectations of anglers.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Ree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster