I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave Spinning Guide
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 07:05PM

After a limited introductory at the ICRBE the Castaway Microwave Guide is now available for sale. It's available as a set which consists of a size 30 spinning guide with a size 8 guide attached to the rear frame of the Microwave guide. It also comes with a model BMYAG size 7 transition guide. Then you go straight to your micro running guides.

For a limited time I'll be offering these guides for FREE SHIPPING.

I've already contacted a few people on my pre order list but a few months back I lost my data on my computer so I can't recall everyone who's pre ordered. If you see this thread please give me a call or order at the link provided below. Just scroll on down to the bottom of the page.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Lance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Spinning Guide
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 07:12PM

Sounds different. What is the purpose of this special guide ?
Thanks

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:02PM

Lance, when you will have any additional sizes available?

TJB

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:27PM

The production model currently available targets inshore and bass rods for US markets.

The Micro Wave guide used in conjunction with one transition guide permits the use a different size reels, lure weights and line types with one guide set up..

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Future plans call for larger guides for surf rods.

Sublicence agreements have been made by Castaway for other markets.

Engineering has not been completed.

30 sets of production 30/8 Micro Wave guides were sold at the iCRBE and response has been exceptionally good.

Fifty-three ICRBE attendees made the treck out the back door to the loading ramp for test casting demonstrations on Saturday - included one astounded Australian - he did not even chastise the Swamp Boyz for the use of black thread only.

They accomplish the task!.

In a nut shell they work!

If you build spinning rods you should try one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 09:33AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:47PM

Thanks Bill, saw these in action at the ICRBE and can't wait to try them.

TJB

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 06, 2011 08:54AM

I will try post pictures of the rod i just built using one, when i get home from work.
I Stretched an AllStar 1-3 oz, 20# 8ft rod blank to 9 ft to hold a Penn Battle 4000 with 20# power pro or a Bradia 4000 with Berkley 17# XT..
The object is to fish the Perdidio pass for bull reds and what ever swims there.
I casted it last night on a local pond in Memphis and was happy with results.
I am probably on the upper limit of what the guide was designed for. A 40/12 or 40/10 would probably work better if i went to a 5000 reel and bigger lines.
I did line of sight between the double ring and my running 5.5's. The #7 is about 20 inches in front of the twin guide and then my first 5.5 running guide is about another 18 in front of that. Covered the back of the blank with corn starch and never saw any line slap marks(wish i could afford a hi speed camera!), even using Berkley XT. 20# Power pro worked great but it works well on a conventional match guide fast choke to running guide setup too.
Every component was obtained at the ICRBE, right down to the Aqua Shield water based PG i used as a thread epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 09:05AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:51AM

You can also try two single spin guides together using different sizes to get the best distance

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:33AM

Bill B. I noticed on your website that you are offering a version of our Microwave guide. Actually you have a photo of Toms version that he posted a couple of years back. Have you ever built one yourself or are you still waiting to build your first one ? I and a few others would certainly like to get feedback from your customers that you've built them for on the performance of your builds. If you have the time why don't you post a photo or two of rods you've built utilizing Toms guide system that you show on your website.

We have many positive reports on our Microwave guide system with high speed photos to back up the claim that they do indeed tame your line to allow a smoother line path through your guides.

Lance

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 03:30PM

Lance,

Could you please tell me how much does one of these Microwave Spinning Guides weight. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 04:55PM

One Castaway Micro Wave Production Guide = 6.9 - 7.0 (Several Reweighs) Gr on a Harbor Freight Scale Digital Scale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 05:00PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ron Flowers (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 06:49AM

So, do you still use the same formula for figuring out the placement of the guides. I believe it's called X27 and is it to the top of the inner guide?
Ron

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 05:56PM

Ron,
yes, but not as you are describing. You place your running guide at 27X. You place the double guide about 19 to 20 inches in front of the reel face. There is a 7 mm M frame guide that comes with it. This you place line of sight between first running guide and the small middle ring of the double guide.

Posted by: Jan Kleinau (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 05:35PM

Hello,

I am very interessted in these guides! Can you say me how high the 24 mm/6 mm and the 30 mm/8 mm MicroWaves are?

How does the other guides will be placed (how many fo ex. a 6'6'' rod)? Which I.D. will the second and the other guides need up to the Tip?

Is the MicroWave based on a "Y" type guide from Fuji, or are there other matching guides?

Best Regards,

Jan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster