I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft 4pc fly blank as a spinning rod
Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:23AM

Hi all,

I would like to build a 4 piece spinning rod around 8'6" - 9'0" for lure weights of (say) 15-20 grams (1/2oz - 2/3oz), for casting chrome lures for light saltwater fishing.

I think there are very few, if any, normal 'spinning' blanks in this configuration, so the obvious solution is to use a 9ft 4pc fly blank.

My main question is how do you go about converting a fly blank line weight into an approx. lure weight, as a starting point for choosing a suitable blank?

Are there any other specific characteristics that you look for when choosing a 'fly' blank for this sort of purpose?

Thanks

Dale
Hobart, Tasmania, AUS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft 4pc fly blank as a spinning rod
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 06:25AM

Dale,

Try an 8 or 9 weight fly rod. These are what I use for all of my steelhead and silver salmon spinning rods, and have had great success with them. I have actually thrown up to 2 oz's with the 9 weight.

I don't have a conversion method, other than testing the blanks in person. Oh, and I would try for a moderate to moderate fast blank.

Chris Herrera

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:18AM

As a general rule, 1/16 oz of lure weight is 1 weight on a fly rod. For example, a 1/2 oz lure weight is 8/16ths so the equivalent rod weight is an 8 wt. I usually go to the higher end or the rating, so in your case 2/3 oz would be about a 10 or 11 wt. Due to the different characteristics between spinning rods and fly rods, the results can be inconsistent though.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:21AM

Here is some info that might help, comes from
[www.mikescatchreport.com]

Fly line weight--grains to grams to ounces
Total weight of first 30 feet of line AFTM
(Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers) standard, +/- variation in weight possible with any line rating.

Line------ Grains------ Grams------ Ounces

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:49AM

Are you sure you can't find a 3 or 4 piece steelhead blank that will work for you? I ask because while you can get a fly blank to work as a light spinning rod, the action of the typical fly blank is so much softer (i.e. slower) than the typical spinning blank that most guys, when they try a spinning rod built on a fly blank, hate them. I know that was the case with me.

This action may be what you're looking for. But if you're just looking for multiple pieces, then I'd try to scrounge up a 3 or 4 piece steelie blank - I've built a few of these for light satlwater use, and they work very well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:01AM

It's almost impossible to convert, because there are no standards for fly rods. You can't expect say, a 9-weight fly rod from one company to have the same power as a 9-weight fly rod from another company. Saying that a blank is a "9-weight" tells you very little.

And very few fly rods are rated for full loading with just 30 feet of the listed line weight, so that angle becomes null and void as well.

More than likely you're going to have to guess as best as you can, or take the advice of someone here that's done the same thing you want to do.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: April 05, 2011 12:59PM

I went through exactly this 3 months ago, and built a Salmon travel rod out of a 10wt Sevier fly blank. The good part is that is does break down and fit in a short tube. The bad part is, compared to a normal spinning rod, the rod feels very soft with much less back bone up high on the rod. Unfortunately, 4 piece spinning rod blanks are virtually unavailable. Although I did see this, second from bottom:

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

BTW-the 10 wt blank will throw lures in the weight you list.

If you are determined to do this, pick the fastest 10wt blank with the highest ERN you can find, and even then it will feel too soft. If I were to do it again, I would try it with one of the MHx blanks from Mudhole.

It would be really great if one of the big blank makers came out with a 4 piece salmon/steelhead spinning rod....... hint, hint. This would be a huge service to those of us who travel to Alaska every year to fish.

Drew

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.87.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:33PM

Dale,
Find a rod that you would consider for the task in a 1 or 2-piece.
Record the rod butt dia and use it as a basis for a 4-piece fly rod selection.
Ultra light spinning rods are approx 4-5 weight fly rod blanks.
Light spinning rods are approx 8 weight fly rod blanks.
Med light spinning rods are approx 10 weight fly rod blanks.
Medium spinning rods are approx 12 weight fly rod blanks.
Hope this is of some help.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 08:38AM

Angler's Workshop catalog just came in the mail yesterday. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I spotted some long 4-piece spinning blanks in their lineup.

jeremy

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:19AM

Hello Dale

In my 2009 Angler's Workshop catalog on page 104 is a 4pc, IM6 Travel spin/cast.
TSH86MH4, 8'6", 8-20 LINE WT, 1/2-1oz LURE WT, 2.6oz Blank Wt, Butt: .470, Tip: 5.5, MH Power.

Hope this helps and good fishing.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:10PM

Thanks very much for all your replies and especially for the link to the 4pc blanks from Anglers Workshop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster