I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Braided Line Help for Baitcasting
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:25AM

I know this is off topic, but it is my first time loading baitcasting reels with braid. My questions are - 1) Do I need to stay with 8lb diameter (30lb braid) to keep the line from digging into itself on the spool? Or will 20/6 work okay? 2) For baitcasters is there a preference for the stiffer fused lines over the true braids or does it not matter? Any advice on number of strands, fused vs. braid, or anything else would be welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Braided Line Help for Baitcasting
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:35AM

What I do is load up about half the spool with mono, but that dependson the size of the spool, then fill the rest with braid. If you use only braid, is can slip on the spool. By using the mono it will not slip and also you don't need to fill the whole spool with the braided line.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 10:16AM

I fill the first part of the spool with electrical tape. The braid won't dig into it. Then just tye the braid on the spool, over the tape and I tape the knot down and go from there to finish spooling. Never had a problem with this method.
Jeff Davis

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 10:21AM

1) I'm not sure what you're going after but I'd be hard pressed to use 30# braid unless you're going through some really nasty and heavy cover. But you know bassers, gotta use 65# braid to land a 10# fish. I would suggest a mono backing , just enough to cover the spool. Tie the 2 together and load her up.

2) While I don't braid on my bait casters, just about any of the lines on the market should be fine. I'm partial to Sufix though and their new 832 line seems to be pretty good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 12:10PM

Marty,
If possible, consider the use of a hole in the spool of a bait caster to tie the braided line to. Most of the new bait casters on the market are now coming with a hole or holes in the backing of the spool, to tie the line. By tying the line to a hole in the line spool, it will be impossible for the line to slip.

Certianly the use of a large diameter line will prevent the digging of line into a line spool. Many of todays bait and spinning reels now come with two different reels. One spool of a deeper depth for mono line, and one spool of a shalower depth for braided line.
You can do the same thing by filling the line 1/2 full with heavy mono, and then putting a couple layers of electrical tape over the line. You now have the same effect as a spool of 1/2 the size. Tie your braid to the spool and you will be good to go. The mono backing and tape will keep the braid from slipping. This also has the advantange of allowing you to fully fill your spool with 1/2 the amount of line.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 12:12PM

My minimum suggest line weight is 30# for all but the most advanced casters. It isn't about the test rating, it is about the diameter ... as you indicated. Many of my clients use 40# and even 50# to help with manageability and casting control. I also use electrical tape without a mono backing. After the line starts to wear, I load it to another reel ... reversing it and getting 2X the lifespan.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 12:51PM

If you search the net, you can come, up with what is probably the best available write up on Spectra or braided lines. It's written by Jerry Brown, manufacturer of some of the best lines on the market. His tutorial explains the methods of proper spooling and use of the braids. Interestingly enough, no tape or backing is suggested and simple knot attachment to spool is all that's required. Like most things fishing related (and rod building!!) there is no shortage of myths and "systems". But in most cases a little research to find the facts is all that's needed. That aside, the key to spooling braid is TENSION, it will dig in if not laid down with force.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 12:54PM

Braid Dig In Bait Casting Reels:

Line bury can be minimized by how you load the reel..

Overfill the spool above the level needed using normal line tensioners.

You will be surprised at how much slack is removed by this procedure.

Walk off all braid down to the small amount of backing..

Tie it off -

Pull as much tension as you can whille treating the line with Braid Aid - available from Swampland Tackle

When you pull the braind tight on lower layers it will not allow deep packing - even on a hard hook set.

Get in installed properly and the problems with "bury" tendencies will be greatly minimized.

Using braid has nothing to do with luck!

Date: March 17, 2011 01:10PM

Bill,
The only issue I see with spooling it that tight is, what happens when you cast and retrieve? Are you supposed to unspool it and pack it back on after every cast? The only time it'll ever be packed that tightly is when you first do it, after that, it's all loose again.
Not saying that's not the way to do it (that's how I spool my spinning reels) but we need to realize it doesn't stay that way.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 01:27PM

To add to this discussion, I'll add my own myths. First, braid has a much longer life than mono, IMO. However, to economize even further, I also fill the spool half way, or so, with mono before adding braid. Among other things, I don't need more braid than the distance I can cast, but to maximize the cast, you need to fill the spool. Second, I have had braids that did dig into the spool. I have used others that rarely did so. Typically, these days I'll use either Power Pro or Sonic Braid and I put it on the reel with quite a bit of tension. Finally, I have 30/8 on all my baitcasting reels. To me, this seems to be the happy medium. On the other hand, I never go lower than 20/6 for any purposes. I have known of instances where smaller diameter lines have slipped through the gap in the eye of a hook, and, if you use a leader, the smaller lines will cut the mono much more easily. There is nothing authoritative in any of my comments.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (66.87.8.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 01:41PM

Mathew by putting it on that tight then casting the braid that is still on the spool after the cast stays tight. That is were it starts digging at not with the line thats in the water.

Marty like Jim said a small diameter line is alot harder to control with a baitcaster. I use 65# or better with a 20-25# floro leader about 5' long. this works great and I never have any problems.

Backing or tape is a must in my opinion.

Date: March 17, 2011 01:46PM

Steven Franatovich Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mathew by putting it on that tight then casting
> the braid that is still on the spool after the
> cast stays tight. That is were it starts digging
> at not with the line thats in the water.
>

I understand that but that still doesn't help with the line that you're casting, especially if you're hooking fish that will pull drag. That'll dig in a heart beat.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 17, 2011 02:26PM

Many of us cover the spool holes with Teflon plumber's tape or electrical tape to help keep water out of the bearings. And, yes, the holes on some reels are open to the shaft bearings. Electrical tape is heavy if you use a lot of it, and some casters will feel that the mass causes the spool to start slow for pitching light stuff.

I put on cheap mono backing (wound tight) and only about 75 yards of braid. I reverse it onto another reel, as Jim does, after it wears.

In my experience, spider wire stealth was terrible for digging in and back lashing. I use PP and Suffix now.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (66.87.6.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 03:21PM

To tell you the truth I got away from braided years ago. I throw floro mostly 17-20#. I havent't found were braided is 100% necessary even in the thick grass mats. Braides are to visible under water even in stainded water. If you get the right floro thats tough as nails and is invisible under water you can't go wrong.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:58PM

I honestly wouldn't trade my Power Pro for anything... It just works for me. I use the 30 on many of my casters! You will have no problems if you follow the others advice. I have tried Suffix (not the 832), Tuff line, Power Pro, my second choice would most likely be Stealth.

Tom

Posted by: Jim Fielding (74.123.20.---)
Date: March 17, 2011 10:33PM

I mostly use braid for pitchin / flippin and use a mono filler for about 1/2 the spool. Any of the braids work OK for me in those applications. For true casting use, the Stren has been the friendliest I have tried to date. It seems to hold shape a little better and not flatten out as much, which helps with the digging in issue. Power Pro is my go to for spinning use. I haven't used any of the recent releases.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 06:07PM

I'm going to try braid on my baitcaster for the first ime this fall Salmon season. I've got my spool loaded with braid but with mono underneath. But I'm rethinking maybe I'll respool it with all mono and just put 100 yards of braid on the outside. I'm interested in mainly using the thinner line for drifting and the hook setting ability. I'm more concerned with tying braid to mono than I am with it digging into itself on the spool.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 18, 2011 08:53PM

For braid to mono connection, I suggest a nail knot splice or an albright knot. The most important aspect is finishing your knot ... pull it down ALL the way. That has to be the #1 that most knots fail - not having them snug.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 09:28AM

1. when using a mono backing put on enough braid to never reach your mono/braid knot. EVEN if you loose 1/2 your braided line in a freak snag. If you dont put enough braid on top and you do loose part of your braid, you will have issues during the cast getting to or near the union of the mono/braid. I simply use thin clear office style double backed tape on my spool and no mono backing at all. This way when the braid wears, I can reverse the line on the spool and wear out the other end giving me "new" fishing line from the same old line I bought two years ago.

2. fighting fish, slipping drags are not going to cause you dig in troubles with braid. We night fish for striped bass 1/2 the year with braid, these are BIG powerful fish that keep you in a tug of war just holding onto the rod unable to even gain line, not once have we had a dig in issue. Quality reels, proper spooling of line! Most al dig in troubles are related to snagging or casting issues.

3. Many knots will join braid, you can go to powerpro.com and they will show you all the recommenced ones.

3. Visibility, ALL LINES are visible underwater. None are invisible. Some are more visible yes, and to some species this matters, and others it does not. Know your fish.

4. Think of braided line in diameters and use the line diameter you are USE to using in mono and go down in tests from there as you learn the quirks of spectra. Keeping in mind that abraision resistance is all about diameter, the thinner the line, the LESS abraision resistance you will have.

DR

Posted by: matt willey (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 21, 2011 07:00PM

me to I will not give up my power pro I like filling my reel 80 % Mon 10% because you may only use max of 50 ft that way the spool lasts for 10 tournament on sizes desponds on what you are fishing if I'm fishing frog over mats of grass laley pads I like 50 to 80 flipping too crank baits I open water ledges 10 to 20 strucker I like 20 to 30 cat fishing I like 80

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster