I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat inserts
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.dynamic.dsl.skybest.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 12:16AM

I just finished making my lathe,and turned my first reel seat insert. I am experimenting with different ways to final sand and polish. I bought my insert blanks from reelseatblanks.com while at the expo. The first time I just stepped down sandpaper until I hit 3000 grit 3M Trizact(think car painter here) then used 3M compound to bring up the shine. The next attempt I sanded even finer with Mirka Abralon 4000 grit, followed by various fingernail buffers. Both results were similar, and I actually preferred the latter method. Question is just how "slick" can this stabilized wood be polished? I'm looking for that wet look like an old hand rubbed lacquer paint job. Can I get that kind of depth, seeing how this surface is a lot more porous and irregular than the urethane paint I use at work. I've heard of micomesh and I know it's available in grits as fine as 12000. Is it worth the money? I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat inserts
Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 07:21AM

Even though the wood is stabilized to get the depth you desire you will have to put a finish of some type on the insert. There are many different ways to finish inserts. My favorites are using Tru Oil or spraying them with a 2K urethane clear. Tru Oil is a gun stock finish that is basically a wipe on wipe off type application. Takes a few coats to get a build up but it give the wood a nice look. For the 2K urethane, I apply a coat of shellac first. Mostly blond but sometimes I use the darker stuff to achieve a different look. The shellac really makes the sometimes lifeless stabilized wood come alive. After the shellac has dried I spray the clear. Two coats usually does it.

Lane

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:00AM

Is this a auto 2K urethane clear Got a brand name you use
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:09AM

Yes it's automotive. I use pretty much any brand. Depends on which paint shop I'm near when I'm out and about. I use mid temp stuff from Dupont, PPG, and Kustom Kolor mostly. The high dollar stuff from Dupont and PPG isn't necessary, we aren't painting Lambos here.

Lane

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 12:41PM

You can acheive the deep high gloss your looking for by sanding the wood to 66o grit, the applying 4 or 5 coats of Tru Oil (follow instructions re drying time) then wet sand with increasing grits of Micr Mesh to 12000 grit.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 16, 2011 02:13PM

I will often use a CA finish on the stabilized wood. Then sand with a 400 dry followed by 800 wet, 1500 wet and 2000 wet. I then toss on the lathe and hit with HUT polishing compound. Looks like glass, dones not take long and I do not have all kinds of money tied up in micro mesh and the like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 02:56PM

What about Permagloss or LumiSeal. Several coats let cure wet sand then polish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 11:28PM

I have been getting fantastic results on unstabilized wood with polyurethane varnish or spar urethane. Sand to 400 grit, or finer, and seal with Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac). Use waterbase poly for a clear finish or regular solvent based poly (thinned 60/40) if some amber tint is permissible. The spar gives an even deeper tint. Dip the reel seat in the finish and let dry for a day suspended in a vertical position. Sand between coats with 600 grit paper. The required 6 or 8 ccoats is time consuming, but the glass like results make it worthwhile.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 18, 2011 12:03PM

Gerald, is right on. If you are looking for a "deep" finsih dipping is the way to go.

I only sand my "dipped" pieces to 220 to allow for some open grain and a little better depth when finished (my opinion) then,
I have found that dipping the handle or seat then suspending on a mono line works well.
I take that mono line and loop it over a mandrel and place the thing into a clean 5gal bucket so the piece can drip without issue and being iside the bucket keeps unwanted debis from ending up on my finish. For the unstablizided wood I have done this way in many cases I have not even needed to go back and buff them. If I want to control further I put a bucket lid on 1/2 way.
I finsihed a section of cherry burl a few weeks back and it looks a mile deep after 3 dips in a unthined spar. The only trick is to either wick away the drips on the bottem or like I was able to do, have the drips go toward the area hidden by the handle.

If using for a reelseat take into account that 3-6 dips of finish will increase the diamiter of the piece by a fair amount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 12:06PM by Eric Viburs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster