I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumper guide alternatives
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: March 16, 2011 01:10PM

Just curious; has anyone here tried to use an alternative to a bumper guide in a simple spiral wrap. It seems to me that using something like a ring that surrounds the blank at the bumper guide location would serve to straighten the line path consderably, lighten the rod a bit, and reduce friction somewhat. I was thinking someting along the lines of a thin ring of ceramic or carbide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumper guide alternatives
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2011 01:14PM

Yes it's been tried. However, if you restrict the ability of the rod to change shape as it's flexed (go oval) you're looking at failure.

My early versions simply allowed the line to rub the blank. Eventually it wore the finish off but performance wasn't affected.

Date: March 16, 2011 01:47PM

Tom,

Good observation. Taking your comment furtherwhat if one were to use a piece of stainless leader wire wrapped like a mini trim wrap (say, 3-5 times around the blank) and superglued at one tiny spot between the wire and the blank. You would in effect be using a spring, right? If the wire were fairly light, and not wrapped too tightly, it should deform along with the blank.

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.nextweb.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 01:58PM

I've seen it done using a couple of different materials including wire and HDPE strip spiral wrapped on the blank. This was on a couple of big saltwater rods, btw.

Date: March 16, 2011 02:21PM

Pardon my ignorance but; what is HDPE strip and where can it be purchased?

Date: March 16, 2011 02:58PM

High Density Polyethylene. Lots of suppliers out there. Simple plastics supply houses are a start.

The rods I'm describing have a straight up stripper, then immediate 180 guide for the next one with the material protecting the blank for line rub.

Date: March 16, 2011 05:43PM

Correction to my earlier post, the material used on the rod I'm thinking of was UHMWPE or Ultra High Molecular Weight PE. A little different animal than HDPE

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: March 16, 2011 08:43PM

Couldn't you cut the feet off a recoil double foot guide (if it fits) and do what you're describing?

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 10:35PM

Saw a straight Stainless wire about 1/8 inch Dia. X 1 1/4 inch long with the ends flattened and wrapped on the side of the blank. Mihgt also try a flat piece

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 12:06AM

I've done teflon tubing as a bumper and it worked. I've also just done a wrap and used perma gloss to coat the wrap, that worked great. These were all on freshwater bass rods.

Good luck. Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 05:15AM

Blanks usually have some thing like permagloss over them as clear ?? Will that not wear over time ?? Just like a blank finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2011 09:23PM

I have done it, and just because you use a ring doesn't mean you will "restrict the ability of the rod to change shape as it's flexed (go oval)", as stated above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 10:04PM by Kerry Hansen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster