I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss Proper usage?
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 01:25PM

In relation to my post down below does Purmagloss handle like a normal polyurathane,

1) typically how many coats are needed on average flyrod wraps with size A thread

2) what prep is needed between coats, scotch brite ,sanding ?

3)whats the drying time between coats in order to do next coat?

With the Varithane 900 floor finish that I use I must sand with 800 or 1000 grit paper between coats (dries in about 3 hours for sake of working on next coat). I found on the 6wt rod I just built ,6 coats was the ticket.

Can't thank you all enough! just looking to shorten the work load and accumulate less mistakes though many are self induced and I know I have to establish better methods! but some products are just easier than to deal with than others.

"John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss Proper usage?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 15, 2001 02:20PM

John,

There is a window within which you do not need to sand or roughen the finish before applying another coat. I would think this is spelled out on the directions listed on the bottle. At any rate, I'd say that as long as you recoat within a day or so you'd probably be okay.

I do recally the instructions saying that recoating may be done after 1-hour of each previous application. This would, of course, depend upon whether or not the previous application was sufficiently dry. Unless you are in a very dry area (moisture is the kicker to getting this stuff to dry) I would think a between application time of 1 to 2 hours would be sufficient.

Expect to use 3 to 5 applications on most freshwater rods, a few more on larger saltwater rods with heavier thread.

Re: Email Ralph
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (207.109.215.---)
Date: October 15, 2001 03:47PM

I e-mailed Ralph and he sent me detailed instructions on how to use perma-gloss. His directions were better than those sent with the stuff. The key is a good flood coat for the first coat. I don't use anything but perma gloss on light rods. The stuff is indistructable no cracking at the guide feet ever!

Re: Email Ralph, Whats His
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 04:44PM

email adress I whould like to try premagloss on this next project which is an 8'9" 4wt.

Many thanks "John"

Re: Email Ralph, Whats His
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 05:06PM

John the easiest way is simply look for any post made by the person you wish to contact and click on their name in the top of the post,one of the advantages of this board is simply that you can contact people directly via e mail.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster