I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smooth epoxy
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 01:34PM

I have always had trouble getting glass smooth epoxy over long butt wraps, even though I am happy with the finish on the thread wraps. I was putting finish on a rod Monday when I remembered I had a sample wrap and feather inlay I wanted to test coat. Well, the finish had stiffened up a bit so I gobbed it on and brushed it back and forth along the area. When it sagged, I did the T.K. 180 degree flip every five minutes for a while, and it turned out glass smooth. I guess I just wasn't putting enough finish on, from now I am not going to be shy about applying plenty of finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smooth epoxy
Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.saw.usace.army.mil)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:36PM

Greg,
the last 4 rods I have finished, I absolutely gobbed the finish on. I read somewhere that you should get it on a quickly as possible. So four rods ago I tried to just slap it on and let it go. My finish has improved 10 fold over these last few rods. I wish I had learned this about 10 rods ago.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:40PM

A fast turner will also hold more finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:41PM

I put it on thick, let it run to bottom and then wick off. I don't start my dryer til after I wicked excess and have good results (most of the time).

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 04:35PM

I was letting it sag and then wick off the sag, but this time I just rotated it 180 degrees without wicking. Smooth as can be.

Greg

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2011 04:44PM

The key, as I mentioned in the article, is to never allow the epoxy to sag. Put it on, and turn 180 degrees the instant you it begin to get heavy on one side. Epoxy is easy - the less you do the better it'll come out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 05:45PM

I have also found that doing the guides first or the butt wrap first - but not doing them together. This takes a long time and the finish starts to thicken. Not good. guides I usually do one coat --- dry- then sand out the lubes and dust, then a second coat and all is well

Then go for the butt wrap. At lest three coats -- no heat don't play with it -- It knows what to do

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 07:11PM

Bill,
What ever works is great.
I generally do two to three rods on a batch, including the butt wraps.
I start at the butt, go to the tip. Get finish on everthing needed. Then, use the heater to thin and let the finish flow out and transfer to the dryer.
Go to the next rod and repeat. Generally 2-4 minutes per rod.

Apply at 0-50 rpm and let dry at 10-15 rpm.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: matt willey (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:29PM

I use west system epoxy you can put it on in two layers then sand, I start at 320 go to1200 then I tape up stuff paint it then gloss then get deep glossy look

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2011 01:21AM

This post may reap some comments but I'll post it anyway.

I have little expearence at this but have never had the trouble I see posted here. The fist rod I finished, I was freaked out because of the many posts here on problems finishing a rod. I use high build and a heat gun. I put a little expoy on an a guide or area an hit it with a heat gun and the expoy should thin and soak right into the threads- I brush it again from the pot with more expoy from the cooler expoy in the pot untill it sags just a bit and I take a little off with the brush. I find I can move expoy with the air from one end of the guide to the other or make it flow out. I use warm air and warm expoy, and cooler expoy from my pot with a brush to keep the job flowing as needs be. I sometimes use the warm expoxy on the brush to soak the next guide.

I use only one coat with high build and I understand a bit from painiting- material sets and the fisrt part of a pot acts differently from the last. I use small pots if necessary and larger ones on bigger rods or jobs. Waste is not a concern- only expoy perdiction.

This has worked for me,
Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster