I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix 1st looks like blem
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt6.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 11:06PM

Hello all,
I have been at rod building for a short time now and maybe my expectations are too high I'm not sure. I have a new St. Croix 2S70MF2 SC2 blank and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I put the blank on my wrapper and rolled it to check it out and it has a crook in the top section. I thought a 68 dollar rod would be straight as an arrow. I had two Lamiglass blems, I paid 22 dollars from Mudhole, that had less of a crook and I was worried about THAT. Is this a normal occurrence? Even the base had a slight crook in it. I was very excited as this was basically my first non-blem or generic blank to build on. I intend to call St. Croix in the morning to get there take. I am not really trying to bad rap as I am sure this will be resolved, I am just curious if my expectations are too high! Has anyone had similar experiences? Is that acceptable since it is designated a spinning blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix 1st looks like blem
Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 06:35AM

I'd call 'em and have them exchange it for a straight one. I can only speak for myself, but my expectation of a first run blank is one that is straight and no cosmetic blemishes in it.

Contact the folks
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 15, 2001 09:00AM

Mark,
The explanation by Dick regarding blanks is accurate regarding blank expectations and you're obviously not happy with the product, so the best approach is to directly contact the company as you intend.
The folks at St. Croix , I am sure will resolve the problem to your satisfaction. You're situation is not a first and it happens with all manufacturers from time to time. Blanks are packaged and distributors and dealers rely on the inspections at the company that they are ready to be sold without further inspection.

The idea of a crook in the base is unusual, and this you should discuss with them when you call. Perhaps this was caused at a stage past manufacture, such as packaging or shipping. St. Croix is highly reputable and long standing company ready to assist you with the problem and follow up to resolve what was the cause. Anything more that a slight bend near the tip, as already pointed out somehow got past the quality inspection team. I would think it important for the company to receive the blank to better determine the cause of your blank problem.

To be fair, the blank may be actually first rate for performance as is already. And also to be fair, the blems you were use to may be okay most times. And also to be fair, there are many blems around that have hidden flaws looking cosmetically appealing that will fail from the defects at a later date.
As a St. Croix dealer I find the folks there most capable and friendly to deal with. The blanks are and have been first rate, as attested by many custom rodbuilders and satisfied customers of their finished rods.
I am sorry to hear of your problem and do hope all comes to resolution in your favor. They have a toll free number you can reach the right person to deal with the problem. Please give them as much detail about the blank flaw as possible. I'm sure you'll get their attention.
The number is 1-800-826-7042.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Straightness
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 15, 2001 09:25AM

An arrow straight rod blank is a rarity. Nearly all blanks have a gentle bend or curve along their entire length. It does not harm them in any way and in some ways can have some advantages.

Blanks which are very straight and then suddenly take off at some extreme angle, usually near the tip, are not necessarily flawed either. But they can be a bit annoying to build on. If the bend or crook is slight, it's usually not worth worrying about. If it is extreme, or you just can't bring yourself to have confidence in it, then by all means contact the manufacturer for a replacement. Normally, the manufacturers have some limits as to how much bend or crook they will allow in a blank which they ship as 1st quality. But many that fall outside that realm do slip through the cracks.

St.Croix has an excellent reputation for customer service. I am sure they will handle your problem to your fullest satisfaction.

Re: Straightness
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: October 15, 2001 01:15PM

Thank you to all your informative replies. I contacted St. Croix and they said it will be OK. I rolled it on my rollers and actually measured the " circle" it was forming. It measured 5 .5 mm. I guess I can handle it. One of the blems I had was more of the mentioned "S" curves and what a pain. I was just curious as to what I should be expecting but I realized it wasn't a high modulus rod and I should lighten up a little. I am glad I asked questions before I let it upset me.
As I have stated before the expertise here is fantastic. I really appreciate all you help.
Sincerely,
Mark Schulte

Re: Straightness
Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: October 16, 2001 06:19AM

Sad to say I have had this problem with a number of manufacturers. Actually, I've had it with every manufacturer of blanks I have used. The solution is to return it to who you bought it from and have it replaced. The quality control at the manufacturer is where the problem occurs. It is a real dissapointment to be expecting a particular blank and when it arrives find it is too crooked to be used as a custom rod. It makes you lose confidence in the manufacturer and it causes everyone to waste time. You have to send it back. The distributor you send it back to has to waste time in replacing it. I assume the manufacturer also has to waste time replacing the distributor stock. If you are in a time crunch even worse.

There is no doubt you will have to put up with this to some extent but be careful because some manufacturers go downhill quick. You should not accept a blank if it cannot be sold as a first custom rod unless you are not building for a customer. I have taken some blanks that I would not sell and kept them for my own use just to avoid the hassle of returning them.

The problem is at the manufacturer - better quality control and inspection will go a long way to avoiding these problems. In my opinion this is the single biggest public relations disaster a manufacturer can have. I don't think many think through the emotional process of a sale to see how bad product can poison their reputation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster