I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Wave Guide System ICRBE 2011
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 05:31PM

Another ICRBE First Stop Option For Rodbuilders To Consider:

Swampland Tackle received a LIMITED NUMBER number of production Microwave guide sets.for distribution to custom builders at the ICRBE in High Point.

This is the the first sale of of the Microwave Guides Castaway introduced at ICAST 2010.

The Microwave system is patented by Doug Hannon and exclusively licenced to Castaway Rods.

Swampland is the FIRST dealer to present the Microwave Guides sold to custom builders.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike Harris, a contributor to this Internet Forum, received a complimentary Micro Guide set in appreciation for Autocad design drawings, which aided the production team, in communications with the manufacturing facility.

It is hoped Mike has the finished rod available for test casting, in casting competition area, in front of the Showplace, on Friday afternoon. Mike please post a status report on your Microwave rod when you see this thread.

Mike will not be at the show on Saturday due to a fishing tournament. He has agreed to leave the rod in the Swampland Booth for view by custom builders. .

Swampland will provide a Castaway production Microwave rod for test casting by custom builders on Saturday and Sunday.

IT WORKS!

GIVE IT A TRY!

Place your standing order for additional Microwave guides with Swampland Tackle.

Get to the Swampland Booth early - first come first served

Limit One Guide Set Per Customer - no set backs

The limited number of Microwave guides will ONLY be sold at the ICRBE - NO WEB SITE OR EMAIL ORDERS ACCEPTED.

Select from the large inventory of premium overstock blanks while you are there.

The production facility will ship the remainder of the Micro Guides to fill standing orders when the Chinese New Years Holiday Season is concluded.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 08:14AM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Wave Guide System ICRBE 2011
Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: February 13, 2011 08:24PM

So much for springing a surprise……..

I am building 2 rods that will be identical except for the guides. One will be built with the Microwave guides and the other will be built with the ever popular concept system 25,16,8 and 6 running guides. We will see what the results are on Friday, anyone who wants to check them out is welcome to come by and cast them for yourself.

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.hosted.static.webnx.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 08:03AM

I would suggest mounting all guides on the SAME blank, one side for one and one side for the other so any difference will be seen as being due to the guides and not to the use of different blanks. Even blanks of the same model are known to differ quite a bit.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 08:31AM

Mr. Napier;
I heard that exact argument two years ago when I used and 8 ft cranking rod with specific guides set up against another gentleman’s 8 ft cranking and guide set up.
Some supposing that I was some type of shyster in the process altering the outcome by judge and light conditions.

So last year I built the rod as you suggested with two sets of guides on one blank Spiral verses all on top. In the end, the results did not change a bit with the one severely out casting the other.

But what did change was total rod performance. With the weight of two sets 19 guides in all, and two sets of wrappings. It severely hindered the total distance of both setups. I know this to be fact because when I returned home I removed the all on top set up dramatically improving the rods overall performance.

Mike Harris is an integral man who pays great attention to detail!
I think you can trust him to pick out two blanks with close enough in characteristics, for the results to be fairly and honestly represented.

What I would hate to see is neither setup performing well when both are put on the same bank at the same time, with all the additional weight tainting the results and discouraging others from buying what may end up being a truly unique product. That improves performance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 08:34AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:16AM

Hello Everyone

I'm with Steve on the extra weight vs performance.
I think that Mike is an honorable man and would not falsify any results of a test to begin with.
Just my .02.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:35AM

I am trying to build the rods as close as possible to identical. My dilemma now is that the blanks I have are 7 foot and to fit into the rules from last year I need to cut them down to 6’6”. Since I am not sure anybody else will be showing up with a rod built to last years rules, and these are demonstrators more than competition rods, I may just leave them 7 foot to save me a step and end up with a rod I may actually want to use when I am done.

Of course for my rematch with Steve I will cut that blank down to follow the rules……..

Date: February 14, 2011 10:21AM

Mr. Gardener, That's does not matter. If you are hoping to compare the two guide systems then all you need to see is the relative difference between the two. If it degrades performance for one then it degrades the performance for both. So you are still on the same page, which you cannot be with two different rod blanks.

I never said anybody was falsifying anything. Sheesh. I suggested a means by which you could limit any difference in results to the guide systems themselves.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 10:48AM

Bill - hang tight... I see understand what Steve says and agrees. I think it does matter.

You have a new guide, that is naturally going to attract interest and skepticism. Why would you unveil it in a handicapped manner? Even if it's being compared "fairly" to the standard, you still don't want to handicap the performance.

Someone is going to see results from casting and say "eh" not knowing those results were handicapped or altered. You're also going to have to explain the handicap, show more info, etc - which you may not have someone's attention long enough to say all this. This leads to misinformed people and bad info out there. Terrible from a marketing standpoint.

Mike is a great person to make an assessment using two rods. He also stay very impartial until measureable, repeatable results convince him otherwise.

-----------------
AD

Date: February 14, 2011 11:03AM

With all due respect, if BOTH guide systems are on the same rod blank, then neither is handicapped any more than the other. I thought the intent was to show the difference between the two guide set ups. You cannot do that if you use two rod blanks. As it is if one beats the other, many will assume the difference was in the rod blanks, not the guide systems.

Date: February 14, 2011 12:52PM

Mike please build the rods on the full length seven foot blanks. I think you received the 30/8. Call Scott before you cut them down.

I will bring one of Lynn Williams Duplicator Test Board - for a side by side comparison of both rods in the test slots.

The similarity of the blanks will be readily comparable.

The performance of the guides will be easily seen on real fishing rods.

It is what it is -

We all want to see the comparison in real life - .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 01:28PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2011 04:24PM

The results won't be perfectly relative but they'll be close enough for a reasonable comparison.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 04:42PM

Just my observation: The individual adds more variables than the blank does. Even the same person with the same rod hardly ever (maybe never) makes the same cast. This will be as close as it can get.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 10:35PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (cORRECTION Post Edited From Intial Posting)
> Swampland is the FIRST dealer to present the
> Microwave Guides sold to custom builders.

Bill... I noticed this change. Does this mean other people will be dealing the Microwave Guides in the future?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 08:16AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I will bring one of Lynn Williams Duplicator Test
> Board - for a side by side comparison of both rods
> in the test slots.
>
> The similarity of the blanks will be readily
> comparable.
>
> The performance of the guides will be easily seen
> on real fishing rods.
>
> It is what it is -
>
> We all want to see the comparison in real life - .

Bill, I was about to say the same thing. Testing the blanks against one another is easily done. Personally I think many people try to make this "Too Scientific" It's a fishing rod, not the next great scientific discovery. Get as close as you can to comparing apples to apples and let the chips fall where they may.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:59AM

What happens in the parking lot on Friday is important.

This will be an unbiased test of something new.

Test rods will be as close as possible.

Mike Harris is the perfect person -

Talented and highly skilled designer with exceptional Autocad capabilities.

Provided assistance to team members from the start -

Tournament bass angler -

Another Edit: Mike placed highly in the spinning rod entrys at the distance contest last year at High Point.

Highly skilled rodbuilder -

Not an employee or agent of any one trying to drive sales of rods or products.

This functionality test will be done in the broad daylight in front of "insdustry peers"

We should all thank Mike for his contributions.

Mike I hope you win your bass fishing tournament on Saturday!

Alex: Thank you for being so observant. This users of this Internet forum deserve accuracy of posts. The initial post was accurate at the time of the post. Business decisions by Castaway require the wording change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 01:54PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2011 06:36PM

i am enjoying the posts, but it looks like we may need some hip boots or even waders in the parking lot for this competition

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster