I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thompson's Water Seal on cork
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (209.83.89.---)
Date: October 14, 2001 12:28PM

Does anyone else use Thompson's on cork. I use a light coal on my handles and have been very happy with the results. Would cork seal be better?

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thompson's Water Seal on cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 12:45PM

I have used it and was well pleased. It didn't turn the color after it dried and changed the feel only a bit. To be honest though, I rarely put anything on my cork anymore. I probably should.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 03:53PM

Try U40 Cork Seal. Varathane or Durathane would be better than Thompson's.

Posted by: Karen Balcombe (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 04:12PM

I personally don't use any thing on my cork. I like the old weathered look. I do clean my cork with soap and wather after fishing, just to get the junk off it

Re: cork sealing
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 14, 2001 04:59PM

U-40 cork seal gets my vote here. Adds that 'extra' for a custom touch and feel. Also very functional in keeping the cork conditioned to resist dirt and grease. Can be sanded later if need be and reapplied.
I think it gives a pleasing texture and a bit of darkening most would like, but again it's a preference thing.

As for use of the varnishes varathane, or durathane...I don't know.
Anyone can describe the experience with these in specific? Seems these may eventually give a cracking or peeling from the cork.

The U-40 cork seal would not peel or crack. Ralph's got a great specialty product here for custom rodbuilders. For the small cost you can do a decent number of grips and be assured it's a product made for the purpose intended. Remember also to apply it properly without thinking it to be absorbed into the cork, cause it won't. Don't allow puddling. A light coating shoud do, and it dries quickly.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 06:12PM

I'm with Rich and Steve on the U-40 cork Seal. Great stuff.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 07:24PM

U-40 cork seal gets my vote. I have been very pleased with the results. Some people don't like the look but It only slightly darkens the color of the cork. There is an advantage not discussed as of yet. If you have pitted areas that were filled with cork dust and sanded, I have found that it helps to hold the filling intact longer using the treatment. If I am using pre formed grips, I apply the treatment first thing before much handling is done. I feel this holds the original shape with less abuse to the fillings while reaming etc.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 08:45PM

Same here for the U-40 stuff. Been using it for over 10 years and have no reason to change. The rods I did 10 years ago still have nice looking cork grips. I've sanded some of the old ones and applied a new coat once or twice on some of the ones that have had a lot of hard use over 10 + years but thats all. Warren

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster