I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how do you apply your rod finish?
Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.25.172.72.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 03:25PM

Instead of brush applying testers tinted flexcoat to the entire length of the rod, i want to spray paint the ENTIRE rod then try the permagloss spray on polyurethane.
I am just wondering, what is everyones setup for spraying lengths of rods? I have used my rod drying turner to spray on paint with decent results, but this usually means
having to hold or brace the rod at each end(the rod dryer holds one end). I have tried suspending the rod vertically and spraying, but Im not very adept at painting and
always get runs, so putting it level and turning it with the rod dryer seems to work best. Ive seen lots of beautifully finished rods on here. it would really help me to see pictures or even videos
of the setups that were used to paint and refinish those rods. BTW, This is pertaining to refinishing an old rod, not a new blank if that matters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how do you apply your rod finish?
Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 04:48PM

about 3 THIN coats of restoleum plastic paint. let the last coat dry for at least 3 days, then permagloss 2 thin coats. Has worked well for me with no flaws.

I just spray paint it outside. Tape the grip / seat up and evenly apply spray paint as you turn it by hand. A saw horse and something heavy enough to hold the rod horzintal is all i need. When you apply the permagloss, rest the tip on a rod support and apply away.... your tip top will cover what you did not permagloss. 1/2" foam brushes is what i use for the permagloss.

Good luck!

You can get some pretty cool effects using rustoleum hammered finish as well. I built a light rod for my self that gets used 2 times a week at least with no visible cracking of the spray paint.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2011 06:28PM

Permagloss is not a spray on product. It is a moisture curing urethane. You'll do best to wipe or swipe it on. Do a search for the specifics.

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.25.172.72.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 07:12PM

sorry, i meant polygloss spray on polyurethane finish, not permagloss.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2011 09:17PM

Daniel,
I just use an aligator clip to clip into the butt of the rod. I then hang the rod from the rafters and spray the rod. As with any spray finish, two or three very thin misted on coats does a much better job than a single heavy coat.
Do a light mist coat to tack up the rod, then mist on a slightly heavier coat to began to fill the finish. Let it set up and repeat two more times.

No runs and a perfect finish.

Roger

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 12:23PM

After surface prep (varies according to the rod condition) i insert a wood dowel in each end of a section (except the tip where I leave the finish off the first inch), clean the blank thoroughly and apply spar urethane with an old t-shirt wiping it along the length. After it dries (2-3 days) I rub it lightly with 0 and then 00 steel wool and clean and apply again. This is done for 3-4 coats. If you apply the correct amount, you don't need to turn the rod. I will then let it sit for a week until I begin wrapping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster