I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Some pricing info
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2001 08:09PM

Folks, I had a customer who also owns some factory rods. One is a Winston and he wanted to have his grip replaced, by Winston. They told him they could do it but they'd have to take the reel seat off and it would have to be replaced along with the grip.

While I can't fathom why they wouldn't just remove a guide or two and go that route, this is how they told him they'd replace the grip. They charged him $50 for the grip and $50 for the new seat plus shipping back to him. Labor was included so he ended up paying about $112 for the whole job. He was delighted. Got the rod back on Friday and it looks as good as it did when new.

I do a few repairs and sometimes will replace something like a grip or seat. I have never charged $100 for the duo but am thinking that maybe I should. It seems like robbery but this guy was just so happy to pay it that I think my usual $35 or so fee for replacing a fly grip is just way too cheap. Anyway I just wanted to pass along that pricing info for any of you who make these sort of repairs and wonder what to charge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some pricing info
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.64.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 13, 2001 08:49PM

Must be nice. Maybe I will change my business name to "Winston" Tackle Service!

Not really out of line, considering.
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 13, 2001 10:52PM

First, the proof the job is value and satisfactory is the fact the customer 'was delighted'. Considering the replacement with a $50 reel seat, that leaves $50 for the other labor and skill involved to properly match up the high end rod.
I wouldn't probably do it for less either. For 'standard' reel seat and grip replacement for a 'standard' spinning rod may charge less, of course. Have to compare some apples to apples in this case, I'm afraid.

William, if your normal price is $35 that may be fair and in line perhaps with what many other rodshops may charge. If you charged the $50 for the reel seat and using extra grade cork, I'm sure you would be in a similar ball park as the Winston Tackle Service. I don't see the charge that much out of line in this case. Would the customer want to tackle the job himself?? I don't think so, thus he is satisfied in relation to the total value of the rod.

IMHO

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Not really out of line, considering.
Posted by: Jim (---.icehouse.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 12:25AM

Your customer had a "factory rod" and asked Winston for refurb. service. I'm sure that they gave him "Winston quality" as far as workmanship and components and he is satisfied with their service. He still has a "Winston". I agree with Rich, I feel he has spelled it our very well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 10:14AM

Some rod shops charge more for work done on expensive rods than on less expensive rods. Although I never went along with this, preferring instead to charge the same for the same job regardless of the rod it was performed on, there is a mindset among the general public that work done on expensive items is supposed to cost more than work done on less expensive items. Even if the work performed is exactly the same.

After paying between $600 to $800 for a fly rod, I am sure the gentleman fully expected to pay $100 to have a grip replaced. For the same work and same components on a $200 fly rod, he would probably expect to pay quite a bit less. It may be a strange way of looking at things, but that seems to be the way it goes.

Posted by: Karen Balcombe (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 04:28PM

Frist of all the man got Winston credibility. Now if you know you product prices these componutes are not cheep. Winston does not use cheep componutes. That is why they have the name they have.
My husband (Bob) has been building custom rods for over 20 years. He is also on this site. He explains his priceing as such. You do not take your 1939 3 window ford coup to a run of the mill auto body shop to have it restored to factory look or have it chop , channeled and have a candy apple hand rubbed lacqured paint job done. So looking at it in this prospective that price was not out of the ball park

Don't believe it
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 08:21PM

I have to say that I have never been overly impressed by rods from Winston, or even any commercial rod maker for that matter. I see nothing expensive on the rod, although they may charge a lot for it. This may sound egotistical, but I am certain that the rods I build are better in performance and workmanship than any commercially built rod I have ever seen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster