I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle finishes
Posted by: Toby Wiggins (173.180.83.---)
Date: November 23, 2010 09:00PM

Do you think that some of you unbelieveable craftsmen might be willing to provide some suggestions on handle finishes? What works best, most durable, easiest and hardest to work with, etc. Anything the members of this forum are willing to provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle finishes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2010 10:34PM

With the right application technique, I've found PermaGloss to be an exceptional wood finish. That technique was outlined in a recent article in RodMaker.

The key to any of the moisture curing urethanes is to apply them quickly - very quickly. You can't brush them around or fool with them for more than a very brief period of time.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 11:21PM

On wood I use Tru-Oil and on cork I use Cork Seal. On grips with combination of the two I use Tru-Oil.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 05:25AM

My vote is for Tru-Oil for cork. I have six year old rods where the handles look as good as new. I've recently done regular thread epoxy with glitter over Tru-Oiled cork ,now in a field testing mode to see how they hold up.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 08:47AM

Thread finish protects threads and thinned almost watery and wiping on with a sponge works well on cork. gives it a golden color. Clean the dust off the cork well. After dry sand with a fine pad to dull the shine. if you don't like the shine.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.lightspeed.knvltn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 07:52PM

I've used Lumiseal and it turned out well and has been very durable.

Posted by: Toby Wiggins (173.180.72.---)
Date: November 24, 2010 09:01PM

Thanks for all the options gentlemen. Your assistance is appreciated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2010 10:09AM

I would think the lumiseal and permagloss would be very hard. Finish , take your left over from you mixing cup and even as thick as it is it still is flexible. But over time it may harden. never checked.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster