I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass fly blanks
Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.187.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 09:16PM

Hello,

A customer expressed interest in an 8' 3 piece 4 weight fiberglass rod. Lamiglas offers an 8' 2 piece 5 weight, but that's all I could find. I'd sure appreciate any help you could lend.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass fly blanks
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: November 24, 2010 06:39AM

Try Kettle Creek rods.
Phil does glass and his stuff is great. I've built several rods on his blanks and my customers love them.
I think this is his current info. he does not have a web site or E mail so phone is the best way and it may take several tries before you get in touch with him.

Phil Balachino

Kettle Creek Tackle Shop

17 Kettle Creek Tackle Ln

Renovo, PA 17764

Phone (570) 923-1416

Fax (570) 923-1420

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: November 24, 2010 12:21PM

Mark Steffen at Steffen Brothers has what you need:

Steffen Brothers Fly Rods
11475 Homestead Rd.
Flagstaff, AZ, 86004
(928)522-0617
steffenbrothersflyrods.com

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 06:44PM

Second for Steffen Bros. Was considering a 8'6" #10 byt too heavy.
herb

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 11:24PM

Mark Steffen's fiberglass blanks are tops from what i read. the kettles are a nice option i hear too but not as much of a following as yet. also included in this group would be lamiglas, mcfarland, south fork, TL Johnson's and L. Kenney, all offering fiberglass fly rods, perhaps most also can deliver a blank-only option. there's a burgeoning community of people who are using fiberglass fly rods, not just the older stuff but modern ideas, and the support community is growing.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 11:18AM

I think the problem you're faced with is that you have someone that was raised on graphite and is looking for a glass rod of similar dimensions and line weight. During the glory days of glass, 8' 4-weight rods were not very common, if they existed at all. I'm sure you will find some per the suggestions above, but recognize that they are not going to be common in that configuration. The progression to longer rod lengths and lighter line weights came with the graphite age.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster