I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod drying motor speed
Posted by: Paul Knauth (---.spfdma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 10:44AM

what is the or is there a optimum speed for rod drying?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod drying motor speed
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 02:11PM

I have used everything from 1 1/2 RPM to 30 RPM. I seem to prefer around the 8-10 range, but the others worked just fine

Ron Weber

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2010 02:30PM

Strictly personal. I have speeds up to 40 but haven't used anything but 3 rpm in a few years. Works best for ME.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 03:01PM

Mine turn at around 18rpm

Posted by: Jeffrey Bruce (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 03:07PM

Ken,
is 18 good for mixing epoxy as well?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 03:22PM

I mix by hand but I think that would work.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 08:36PM

Paul,
Basically, any speed that will keep the epoxy from puddling on one side or the other of the rod.
So, essentially, any thing from about 2 rpm on up will work.

I have used either a 6 or 10 rpm speed and it works just fine.

However, for actually applying the finish, it is nice to have a rod speed that is much faster. I like to use a speed that is in the range of 50-200 rpm. Then, have an on and off on the motor that is foot controlled, so that the rod can be stopped as needed for filling in around the guide foot. etc.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 09:15PM

Paul,

There is no "optimum" speed. It depends on the amount of finish and the viscosity of the finish. You get better leveling at the higher rpm but you may have finish flying everywhere if you get it to high. (Profit my my mistakes-I once ran one at 200 rpm. Had finish flying everywhere. Wonderful thin finish but needed another coat or two.) Personally, I like to run mine for 2-3 minutes at around 50 rpm then anything fro 2-40 is fine. Dr. O'Quinn and I have discussed this subject on several occasions and we agree on the merits of the high rpm and the risk of making a mess in the shop. I recommend removing all excess finish before you get above 18 rpm.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Date: November 22, 2010 09:43PM

Ed,
I use a rod wrapper that I have built that will spin a rod at up to 1000 rpm.
I use the same wrapper for finish appliction. It works very well. Since I have complete control over the speed of the rod, anywhere from 0 to 1000 rpm, I simply use the fastest speed that is possible that is consistent with good finish application.
It may be 1 rpm, 200 rpm, or somewhere in between.

For all of the folks that do have a power wrapper consider its use in applying guide finish.

Note:
To prevent finish contamination on the bed of the wrapper, be sure to lay down cardboard, or similar covering on any area where finish is likely to drip or be spilled. No need or sense in getting finish on the bed of your wrapper.

A piece of aluminum foil is nice for this since it conforms nicely to the bed of the wrapper, and is easy to lay down and take up.
Or just cut pieces of cardboard to cover the beds in the areas of the guides that are to be covered.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 12:00PM

I now use a DC setup with a dimmer switch. For applying I'll turn it up to around 40-50 rpm so its moving pretty quickly, and once I am done applying, I'll shut it off with guides up, let the finish sag, go back and touch up any small missed areas. At that point I simply turn it back on, slow down the speed to 6-10rpm or so, close my box and let the finish do what it does best. Level itself.

Periodically over the next 2 hours or so I'll usually check on it a few times, making sure I have no bubbles, dry spots, etc. Since taking a suggestion from roger wilson and moving to DC power, with my own modifications to fit my needs, I am happy to say finish has become one of the easiest things for me to do.

Also a benefit of a DC motor is no loss. The input power = output power to the motor and generally a DC motor will have a much higher torque than the equivalent AC motor. This is a big thing for me as I do mainly offshore bottom and trolling rods and require a decent amount of torque on rods with heavy rollers even when balanced properly.

Date: November 23, 2010 06:29PM

Just for clarification, Sean used the word dimmer switch for the DC setup.
I am only guessing, but I think he means that he is using a dc motor controller to control the speed.

It is possible to use a dimmer switch to control the power coming from a transformer which - if sent through a diode, would be dc to the motor.

--
I also use the same thing that Sean mentioned. i.e. I use a 90 volt dc 50 rpm gear motor for a dryer. It is powered by a dc controller and a foot switch. So, again, as Sean suggests will use a faster speed for doing much of the finish work, then, stopping as needed to fill in around guide feet and to check for excess epoxy.

When properly coated, will slow down for long term drying.

Take care
Roger

Also, a dc motor can be well controlled by simply varying the voltage. So, if you have a variable voltage power supply, then the motor speed will follow the applied dc voltage.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 11:41AM

Roger,

I am now doing what you suggestet to prevent "flyiny finish". I am using my wrapper. Whitout going into alot of coating engineering/phisics the higher rpm gives beteer leveling. Prior to turning up the speed remove excess finish with a Make Barkley "doctor knife" (aka a piece os old crieditt card cut to 0.5 inches wide). There is one constilation prize to this- bublbes go too.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster