I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Filler
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 19, 2010 08:31AM

I need to do some cork repair on several older rods, hence I need a good cork filler that will hold up well. Mud Hole sells a Rod Builder's Cork Filler. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there other products that I might look into. Thanks in advance. Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Filler
Posted by: Bill Napier (---.208.88.219.rdns.vpslime.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 09:43AM

I believe what they sell is Elmers wood paste or putty. Either that or similar products should be about as good as you can get. I do not think any of them will hold up forever.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 19, 2010 09:43AM

Hello Clinton

Just go to the search button hit that and then type in cork filler, check "all dates" and you will have all the info you will ever need on cork filler.

Good Day!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 11:15AM

The MH stuff used to be Elmer's Wood Filler - Golden Oak. You can buy it at WalMart or your local home improvement store just as easily.

Pretty much any filler is going to fall out with time. You could always experiment with epoxy mixed with cork dust. I've never been happy with the results I had, but I also haven't put a ton of time into that technique.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 11:17AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2010 11:30AM

Alex has it right.
The filler that Mudhole sells is the Elmers Wood Filler - Golden Oak and it works about as any filler on the market or any that you might make up yourself using cork dust and various kinds of glue.

The thing to do when filling cork is to get the cork close to the finished shape and finish that you want. Then, use compressed air to really blow every thing out of the cork. You don't want any dust, debris or any loose pieces of anything in the cork.

If there is any dust, or any loose particles of anything in the cork, the filler will stick to the loose things and quickly fall out.

When using any filler to fill cork work in sections and firmly press the filler into the cork as tightly as possible. Especially for deep voids, you will have to fill them several times to get a good fill on the voids.

When I do handle work, I generally do the work on the lathe. The ability to quickly turn the handle helps a lot with the filling process. After I get the first good coat of filler on the cork, I will do a high speed wipe down of the cork with Xylene, or Acetone. Both of these products will cut the filler for removal of any surface filler. I will again, work in sections, wiping down the handle - often with the handle standing still - to remove the bulk of any of the filler that is on the unmarked surface of the handle.
Generally, when this initial coat dries, you will get shrinkage of the filler to some extent and the larger voids, if any - will need an additional fill of filler. Sometimes in one coat, sometimes in 2,3 4 or 5 coats you will have all of the voids nicely filled and still be a touch higher than the rest of the handle. Now, you can use a sanding block - sandpaper with a backing block on it to do a handle clean up. Be sure to use the backing block so that you don't sand out filler or parts of the handle that you don't want removed. If you use an unsupported piece of sandpaper during this final finish process, it is pretty easy to undercut parts of the handle that you don't want removed as you are restoring the rest of the handle to the finished appearance.

I would suggest that you experiment a bit on a scrap handle with filling and its different techniques, before you do it on a handle that you are going to use or sell. It is an easy process to do, just take your time and you will do all right.

p.s.

Often on the initial clean up of the filler, I will use a dull piece of wood as a scraper to remove the bulk of the filler that might be on the surface of the handle and not in the voids of the handle. If you do it when the filler is slightly damp, the filler cleans up quite quickly and it works better than sandpaper, because, sandpaper will quickly clog, if you are using sandpaper for the initial filler removal after the initial applicaion.

Take care
REW

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 02:04PM

Clinton,

I have been using the Elmers paste for several years and find it works very well. What will make all the difference in the world is your prep. I clean out all the craters and holes with a fine brush and then use a air hose to blow out any loose particulate that may be in any of the pits or holes. I have rods that have been in use for several years and they are holding up just fine. I do have about 4 or 5 different shades of paste to help match the handles I am working on.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2010 12:22AM

Try Pit Paste, it's a Roddancer product and the best filler you will find.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 20, 2010 09:16PM

Clinton What I do in a nut shell when I have bad pitted Cork is cut it out! An replace it with a fresh ring. Let it set over night and sand. If done correctly you make the old cork look new and the ring will never be seen

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 04:09PM

Bob,
That is fine, if you only have a singular bad spot in the handle.
But, most of todays lower quality cork handles have bad spots all along the length of the handle .

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 05:10PM

Roger with the system I use you can replace a whole 5 inch foregrip If I had a larger pot for water I could replace a whole 15 t018 inch rear grip without shimming one part. I have the system if you like. I hate fillers, because after a season of heavy use the filler will fall out.

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster