I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Wrap thread experiences
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2010 12:45AM

For those who have, what has been your experience with Mud Hole's "Pro Wrap" thread? I am interested in: Strength, smoothness (lack of fuzzies), Color brilliance, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wrap thread experiences
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2010 08:05AM

I have a bunch of different colors and sizes and types of Pro Wrap thread, I put finish on a rod last night which had diffferent colors for every guide wrap so it was a perfect test for Pro Wrap since I got to use all the spools I picked up this weekend and that I ordered last month. The NEON colors are awesome, I got yellow orange and pink in NCP in size A & D - and they look just as bright under epoxy as they do on the spool, I'm really happy about this because the only true NEon threads I used in the past neded CP and I donot use CP on guide wraps. THe Nylon threads were also just fine to wrap with, the size D is not the same size as Gudebrod D, it's closer to C. For me this is ideal since I think D is too thick for the rods I build, but A is too small.

Colors - I got to see the entire inventory of colors at the Mudhole Open House - WOW. FOr anyone looking to do shadd guide wraps,or even shaded Decorative WRaps with Nylon, we now have an option with Pro Wrap. YOu cna't complain that there are only 4 BLue's or 2 reds anymore. Merlot thread will make me lol every time though, I wonder if I have to wrap my rod with my pinky sticking up.

Date: October 13, 2010 08:18AM

Here is one of the photos I took of the rod I mention above: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I have photos of all the other guides, I was waiting to put finish on them to do a comparison photo, I just put this up so you can see how bright the NCP Neons are (perfect for contrasting trim)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2010 08:30AM

I agree 100% with Billy - I put up an earlier post about this thread. It is totally consistent through the spool for color, no "fuzzies" at all through a full 100 yard spool. Also (as Billy noted) the diameter is slightly thinner for the A and the D than Gudebrod. The A is more like 3x silk and the D is closer to C. As for strength - very good.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: October 13, 2010 09:16AM

I wish you could get the neon yellow online, I ordered a few weeks back and it was not an option on any of the drop downs, but it sure was on the color chart. You think I should call mudhole next time I order?

Date: October 13, 2010 09:45AM

As I understand it some of the colors have not yet arrived.

Date: October 13, 2010 09:45AM

Andrew, I saw what Mudhole had in stock this weekend, not every color was in in all the sizes - if you notice I have Neon Yellow in size D and the other Neons in size A - because they didn't have th NCP Neon Yellow in A yet. I do not remember what they had in Nylon in the neons. Th NEon greenis a chartruse color more than an irish green, but there is enough of a differnce betweeen the yellow and green to have both in stock (for me I'm a thread ho)

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: October 13, 2010 09:48AM

Thanks Billy. My wife is jealous that I've got more thread for rod building than she does for sewing. I'll be sure to get in on the other colors in upcomming orders.

Date: October 13, 2010 10:58AM

I'm hoping that they eventually offer their metallic threads in more than 100 yard spools - especially as they are offering unique colors in metallic thread.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: October 13, 2010 04:42PM

Thanks for posting the photos and updates on the thread.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2010 12:33AM

Billy, do you know if they are going to put together shade packs like you offer?

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 01:40AM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm hoping that they eventually offer their
> metallic threads in more than 100 yard spools -
> especially as they are offering unique colors in
> metallic thread.

I second that Ken, 100 yard spools just don't cut it for me either. I do like the color selection but passed on ordering some this week because of the small spools; I did order a large spool of NCP just to check it out for myself before restocking the whole shop. My Gudebrod is starting to get low on about 75% of the colors and I really don't want to try to restock it if it's not going to be around,

I'm hopeful that between Pro Wrap and Fishhawk, along with the Madeira that I won;t have to spend the time tracking down discontinued thread to get the colors I want.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.195.---)
Date: October 14, 2010 03:59AM

I just got several spools yesterday, mostly in blues and a few of D black. Seems to be very nice! I talked to Mudhole and they said the larger spools of the metallics , as well as Trimar type, classic twists and flat braids are a few months out. The 100 yd spools are ok for a rod or two, but they go quick doing a set of rods or underwraps on thicker blanks! But they will be out soon I hope!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster