I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Time to debunk, or confirm, another long held belief
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 01, 2010 02:23PM

Let’s say you are presented with the choice between two blanks that are equivalent in all ways. I’d like to use the word “identical” but I think some would object.

Blank A has little to no clearly defined spine. Blank B has one of the most pronounced spines you have ever felt.

Which one would you choose? Would you consider either one to be an indication of quality in anyway?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time to debunk, or confirm, another long held belief
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2010 02:51PM

Because rod twist is a function of guide position rather than spine, it really doesn't make much difference. However, I'd think that most (but not all) builders would prefer a blank that had no spine whatsoever.

I prefer a blank that has a slight overall bow or curve from butt to tip, so that when guides are added it ends up being straight. This is becoming less important, however, with the advent of lighter and lighter guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 04:34PM

Russell,
I agree with Tom.
I don't think the presence or absence of a small or pronunced spine has much to do with the performance of a rod blank.

Choose the blank, based on your needs, whether it is a particular action, blank weight or some other particular characteristics.

If, as Tom pointed out - the blanks were really identical - except for a pronounced spine on one, and virtually none on the other, I am guessing that most folks would pick the blank without the spine, simply because it would be more tolerant for building styles.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 06:40PM

Couldn't care less about the spine! To me straightness is MUCH more important

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 06:59PM

If I could get one with NO spine then I would want that one..

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 07:29PM

I'm with Mike.

jeremy

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 07:33PM

There are several things that cause or result in a blank having a spine. All of these things are the result of manufacturing process problems or design flaws. Why would anyone want a blank with a flaw if it could be avoided?

Posted by: Jim Fielding (69.196.211.---)
Date: October 01, 2010 09:39PM

As Emory stated, no detectable spine would suggest every aspect of the design / manufacturing process was dead on the money. A perfect blank if you will.

Date: October 01, 2010 10:13PM

Some of the anomalies that create a spine aren't exactly "flaws," although several are. The thing is, the process by which rod blanks are currently created mean that you're not going to have a perfectly straight tube with verbatim wall thickness all around the circumference. It can't be done with the current process by which rod blanks are made.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 08:16AM

Tom Kirkmna's last post - read carefully

Then think about this -

Those who use the pressure roll with the butt of the rod on a flat smooth surface to determine spine location - find what is considered as a "hard defined spine" may be fooling themselves.

What happens if the butt of the blank in contact with the flat table is out of round?

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 11:43AM

I am very new to all of this and learning as much as possible but I have found with this, my latest hobby/obsession, the more questions I have answered the more questions I have. So here we go, If a rod wants to come to rest on its "spine" when "tested", then the rod actually is "stiffer" on this side, due to the nature of the manufacturing process. This would mean that the rod would "pull" better to one side than the other by using the spine to your advantage. It would basically "want" to pull the fish towards you. Why would you not want this? It seems like a naturally built in advantage. Kind of like a spring with one side doing slightly more work than the other.

Date: October 02, 2010 03:48PM

The effective spine is the softest axis, not the stiffest. The stiffest will be along the straightest axis. Few of us, if any, cast or fish a rod on a single axis.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.16.186.227.cust.uslec.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 05:18PM

Still, with that being said, when you spine the rod and place the eyes you are indeed using the stiffer side of the rod to your "advantage." Seems to me if you give up the spine you give up the advantage.

Date: October 02, 2010 05:30PM

No, if you put the guides on or opposite the spine, the stiffest axis will be somewhere off to one side.

And again, you don't fish the rod on a single axis.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.16.186.227.cust.uslec.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 05:50PM

OK. I understand now. I also understand why the "spineless rod" would be the more desirable of the two. So with this newfound knowledge, at least 2 more questions are born. 1. how do you find the straightest side of a blank and, 2. Given the fact that we do not work off a single axis while actually using the rod, is finding the "straightest" side really that important?

Date: October 02, 2010 06:19PM

No, it's not that important. It's usually done as a point of reference. The straightest axis when oriented so that the tip and butt are high and the belly of the natural curve is low, tend to flatten once the weight of the guides is added.

You can generally find it by eyeballing the length of the blank. Or, you can support the butt at two points, about a foot apart, and then rotate the rod blank and watch the tip against a grid of some type (graph paper is fine). When the tip reaches it's highest point, that's the straightest axis (and generally the stiffest as well).

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 09:07PM

If I makean inventory order with a bunch of blanks same model, and I want to build one for myself, I have always pulled th blank with spines 180 from each other for myself. I don't kno wi fit matters, if th rod is defctiv, or anythign els, I know I'm happier with th blank that is like this, and I've neer had a blan kfail du to this, but they have popped from extreme high sticking & overloading.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 03, 2010 10:05AM

Thanks everyone. Jim's post summed up my "belief" to a tee.

Richard, you might be better served forgetting you ever heard the word. I can't think of another rod building topic surrounded with more misinformation. Perhaps you know this but I'll throw it out there as you ponder ways to build for maximum pressure on the fish. The rod fibers on the inside of the curve (towards the fish) are under compression and the ones of the outside are elongated. It is the ones under compression that will fail first.

I'll have to think up something better for my next question.....always been curious what the general feeling is on dual helix constrution.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 03, 2010 10:33AM

If every single aspect of the blank manufacturing process were performed perfectly - you would still have a spine effect. That type of construction ensures that you'll have such a thing. It actually creates it.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.217.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 03, 2010 11:33AM

Well stated Tom.
Now the question.
Since it will always be in the construction is it possible to use it for a practical advantage in some aspect of fishing ?? ie if the rod will fail in compression is it better on the compression or tension side of the blank ??
In your rod breakage experiment did you find any correlation between failure vs spine orientation ??

Eugene Moore

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster