I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying motor speed
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2001 08:48AM

Hello, and thanks from a rookie for providing so much useful information on this board!
I have purchased Duragloss LS Supreme for finishing wraps, and wondered what the "optimal" drying speed would you recommend? I have a FlexCoat 6rpm motor, but wondered if a higher rpm is necessary due to the properties of this finish. Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying motor speed
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2001 12:19PM

Mike,

Your dryer should be just fine. I would use multiple coats and don't try to get the final finish by one heavy coat. Try a sample wrap and see how you like it. Should do the job just fine.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: October 11, 2001 04:38PM

There has been alot of discussion on some past postings. A search could pull it all up. But, I think the discussion was that the higher the RPM the more even the finish, Mine turns at about 36 RPM and I was going to go to a slower motor, but was stopped in my tracks after I read what Ralph had determined. Ralph and some others will probably jump in here to help you out a bit more. I'll see if I can pull it up on a search for you.

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: October 11, 2001 04:41PM

Try searching on 30 RPM drying motor and it'll all be there. Take Care and good luck.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: October 11, 2001 09:49PM

Appreciate your helpful replies, I'm going to give it a whirl with the 6rpm and a few light coats of finish. Thanks again, Mike

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 12, 2001 03:50AM

I agree with Bruce use multiple light coats. One I put a coat on I take a pip cleaner and remove all excess finish. Then I wait about 15 minutes and put another finish coat on and using my trusty pip cleaner remove all excess finish I usually put 4 coats on.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 11:14PM

What do you mean when you say 'light coats?" I use LS Supreme and have a tough time with waviness, Doesn't a pipe cleaner leave some fuzz in the rod finish? Your method sounds good, and I would like to try it. Would the 6 rpm PacBay motor work for a smooth finish? Thanks, Sanford

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster