I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Motors
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: October 09, 2001 12:14PM

I'm interested in making my own multi-unit rod dryer. I've looked online for motors and don't know where to begin. 1/25 hp, 1/16hp, 1/10hp? Rpm all seem too high.

From what I understand, I want an rpm somewhere between 18 and 60. Can anyone point me online to a good supplier of inexpensive motors that fit the bill? Someone recommended rotisserie motors, but I've found them expensive unless you get lucky and find them used at yard sales. I got a great little motor at the conclave last year in Nashville from the gentleman who built the rod jigs for the class, but don't know his name or source.

Also, any advice on making the motor unit rod ready? A pvc cap and rubberbands, rubber plunger, etc? Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Motors
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 09, 2001 02:10PM

I will offer this advice - if you get a powerful motor, you can use pulleys to run the rods at whatever speed you desire. You can also drive several rods at one time. So don't overlook a motor which you feel is overpowered - it may not be once you get everything hooked up.

It is also important to get a motor that is designed for continuous duty. Then you need to decide on a drum turner or direct-turn type of dryer. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

We are finding out that a bit higher RPM dryer unit gives a smoother finish. But it also tends to "sling" finish up the guide legs. The optimum RPM is going to be different depending upon what type finish you are using. At some point I'd like to see the various finish suppliers do some tests and recommend what they feel is the optimum drying speed for their particular finish.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: October 09, 2001 02:51PM

Thanks Tom. I hadn't thought of using one motor to power multiple dryers. Not sure I'm sharp enough to pull that off. Anything more mechanical than gluing wook and plugging in motors is likely too advanced for me.

I noticed the rod turning rack in the background of one of the pictures in your book and thought it looked ideal. That's where I came up with the idea to make my own. Kind of a gun rack design with seperate motors, possibly of different rpms, and simple on/off switches for each--that's what I'm after. Something I can expand as my business expands.

I use both Flex Coat and LS Supreme in different instances, and need a bit faster motor for the latter. Just don't want to spend 40-80 bucks per motor. I'd be better off buying the Flex Coat pro dryer if I'm going to that expense. And I agree, rpm tests for Flex Coat and LS Supreme finishes are in order. Think we'll find LS Supreme is ideal at a faster rpm.

As always, appreciate your insightful reply.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 09, 2001 04:10PM

There is no reason you can't add a pulley/gear to the back of each chuck and use a chain or belt to drive all the units. You could use different size pulleys on each unit and that would give you the different speeds.

The only dryer I have ever had here in the shop is a sort of drum type that is powered by a single motor. The rods rotate in their entirety instead of around their own axis. It achieved the same purpose but allowed me to dry 10 or 12 rods in a smaller area. Due to the differences in blank tapers and diameter, however, the rods did not remain perfectly level as they were rotated. I used the unit for repair work so it was not as critical as what I needed for the custom rods.

If you can take a look at the multi-rod dryer Flex Coat offers, it may give you some ideas on what to shoot for. I have often felt a neat unit would be based on slatwall (such as most stores use now for hanging displays) that could fasten to a wall and supports made to lock into the slots between slats. Depending upon how many rods you needed to rotate any given time, you could fashion a chuck and shaft with the pulley or gear on the end and then a motor could be mounted at the bottom and a chain or belt run up to each pulley or gear. Lots of options here. This is also similar to the Flex Coat unit I believe.

Do a search on the web and see the various commercial units that are out there now and get some ideas.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 09, 2001 04:50PM

A great source recommended to me off this site is www.allelectronics.com. They have all kinds of motors, great pricing too.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: October 09, 2001 05:55PM

Rob; You might think about using chain drive saw a 5 rod unit home made using small 1 1/2" plastic sprokets and a wire link chain 1/4" wide look thru index at alllelectronics.com. I bought 2 motors from them good service

Barry D Thomas Sr

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster