I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt wrap and the hump
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:48AM

I have just finished a butt wrap making a diamond pattern. This time I make really big diamonds, so there were a lot of wrapingss; consequently, the surface rose up significantly from the underwrap. The thing I do not like about this however, is that the wrap between the top and bottom of the diamond pattern that is put into place to hold all the threads in place has created what I call a "hump," parituclarly between the top of the foregrip and the bottom of the diamond pattern. This "hump" rises over the threads at the end of the pattern and cascades down to the underwrap into the winding check. This is much less pronounced at the other end of the diamond pattern.

Now that I have put the first coat of epoxy on, I was thinking of cutting the hump off...but I am not sure that is a good idea. I could put another wrap over the epoxy to raise the level of the underwrap up a bit, but the hump still rises above the wrap itself. I may have created this problem by not cutting off the threads higher up on the wrap. Live and learn, I guess. Has anyone had some similar experiences. I do like the way the wrap came out, but an not particularly fond of how it finished out.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt wrap and the hump
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:20AM

For future reference, you can greatly minimize the "hump" with a couple of things. First, when start cutting the pattern threads as you're tying off, don't cut them all at one time. Cut a few, make a turn or two with your tie-off thread, and then cut a few more. Make a couple more tie-off thread turns. Then cut a few more pattern threads, so on and so forth. This helps make the tie-off more gradual and will greatly reduce any sort of hump there.

Next, when you reach the foregrip with your tie-off thread, reverse direction and wrap back towards where you started. This creates a double tie-off layer that tends to smooth things out and hide any gaps that may exist in the first layer of the tie-off wrap. Once you apply epoxy, no one will ever know that it's two layers deep.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:50AM

I also cut them as I wrap the tie-offs. It looks much better, especially on a large wrap and or large size thread.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 26, 2010 10:07AM

Thanks. I like this suggestion. I suppose it is too late to cut back into this to rewrap. My experience is that it is better to leave things alone, as the things you notice may well go unnoticed by others. Perfection does have its price.

I am thinking this suggestion through. I use tape to hold these threads while I am wrapping, so at the end, there is a mass of threads stuck to the tape. Disengaging these threads from the tape so you can cut them off progressively seems to offer its own challenges. Just thinking outloud here.

Clinton

Date: July 26, 2010 11:32AM

There is a pictorial on tying off butt wraps in the Amato book Rod Building Guide. It shows how to easily deal with the tape.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 11:41AM

I believe Ken Preston and Billy Vivona have them out also.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:11PM

You can also taper the threads out as you do your tie-off wrap. Just comb them out with a burnishing tool and taper with a razor. Makes a smooth transition.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 07:35PM

``Butt Wrap and the Hump`` Sounds like a rock band from days gone by. he he he!!!

I usally put three applications of cp just to hold things down before I remove all of the tape. Then I wrap a single layer of tape over the cp area and I carefully shave down ``The Hump``.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: July 26, 2010 08:09PM

It does and one of us should have mentioned it. Thanks.

Locking things in with CP prevents you from fouling things up. I once tied off a wrap and while cutting the pattern threads managed to nick the tie-off thread with a very fresh and sharp razor blade. You can imagine what happened.

Date: July 26, 2010 09:23PM

Do you have an exact reference to this book. I could not find it on Mud Hole or Amazon.

Date: July 26, 2010 09:29PM

Do you do this as a matter of routine...and do you put the CP on the entire wrap, regardless of how long it is? I would think you have to. In this case, I did not do that because I wanted the dolor change in the Gudebrod thread as the result of putting epoxy on them. But otherwise, this is a great precaution. Like Tom, I too have had to rewrap less elaborate wraps because some of the threads got loose.

Clinton

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:45PM

Clinton -
What I do is start the tie-off wrap (8-10 turns) then apply CP to the remainder of the wrap (which will be cut off). Once that's dry you can "shave off" the threads toward the butt of the rod. As has also been mentioned I normally back wrap. Wrap back over the first layer of tie off thread back to where any noticeable transition may remain. Also going back a second time gives you an opportunity to incorporate a decorative single or double thread in the tie off absent the chance of an "exploding" butt wrap.

Date: July 26, 2010 10:15PM

Most any sponsor carries it - Rod Building Guide. I took photos to depict this exact scenario.

Date: July 27, 2010 07:14AM

HI Tom. Found your publication under that title, but nothing by Amato. Oh well. Since I do not have your book, I will order it. I have a collection of these publications. I checked the Petri DVD and he cuts these threads off at the same place, without layering them in. Clinton

Date: July 27, 2010 08:01AM

It's an Amato book.

Date: July 27, 2010 08:05AM

Is Amata a publishing company or line of books or a person's name? Sorry for my confusion here.

Date: July 27, 2010 08:09AM

Tom: Skip the last post. I went to Amazon and they allow you to look at the first few pages and I see that Amato is a publishing concern but that are the author. I have ordered it.

Date: July 27, 2010 08:10AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.gc.ca)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:13AM

Try this:

[www.amatobooks.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster