I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drilling holes in small cork rings & messin' up!
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 02:01AM

This is my first attempt at making a cork fly rod handle for a light, 2 weight fly rod from individual cork rings that are not pre-drilled. I am looking to fashion a 6 inch handle from twelve, 1/2" x 1 1/8" rings. I need to drill a hole that is centered on the ring that is around 3/16'' in diameter. So far, my attempts at using a regular 3/16" wood drill bit has ended with the holes being off-centered and not emerging directly opposite the top entry point where the bit comes through the bottom. In addition, the holes are chunky and a bit bigger than 3/16". I have rendered at least 3 or 4 of the 12 flor grade rings useless! I have tried a drill press at work and a hand held drill at home. Both drills using a regular wood bit seem to catch the cork and would create uneven holes. I hand held the cork and did not clamp it down.

Do I need to start with a smaller bit at a higher speed and then progress to the desired bit diameter once I have a smaller hole drilled? Or do I need to use an entirely different type of drill bit and approach?

Anyone out there sell high grade cork rings that are pre-drilled to a diameter less than .25"?

Thanks for anyone's help and suggestions!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drilling holes in small cork rings & messin' up!
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:36AM

If you have a simple round file in your tool box, that could get you started. Until I bought my reamers that was all I used. Just becareful to keep your hole centered and perependicular to the ring. It is really easy to get off on an angle.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 06:37AM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:49AM

I do every thing with a hand drill. Run your drill in reverse when using a wood bit. Takes a little longer, but it doesn't bite and tear like it does in forward. Makes a cleaner edge too. You think you need to start with a smaller pilot hole then work your way up in size. Do your final fit with reamer or round file. The other thing is to make sure as you go you are keeping the hole clean.

Mike

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:35AM

I use cone-shaped bits in my drill press. Mark the cork centers, and the drill press will make certain the bit emerges exactly opposite its entry point. Very suitable drill presses are available new from about $40...even less used.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2010 09:45AM

This might give you some ideas:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you have a lathe with a self centering chuck, you can bore them that way as well. One key is to use a regular twist drill bit and bore at a fairly high speed. This keeps the cork from tearing.

Posted by: Peter Appel (70.158.139.---)
Date: July 26, 2010 10:40AM

Another approach, along the lines that Tom suggested, would be to use a 1 1/8 " Forstner bit (the kind that removes the wood from the drilled area) or a sharp wood bit of the same size, and drill a pocket just under 1/8 " deep in a piece of scrap wood about 1 1/2" in thickness. The center pilot of the bit will provide a mark to drill the 3/16" hole through the rest of the piece. You will need to be careful to keep this hole straight (use the drill press at work). Put the cork in the pocket, flip it over and clamp it to another piece of wood on the workbench. The compression of the cork will keep it from spinning and reduce the chipping/tearing at the hole edges, and the hole in the wood will act as a drill guide to help keep you centered and straight. Run the drill in reverse, and I think you'll be able to get the results you're looking for. You also might get better results by deepening the pocket to just under 1/4", and drilling 2 corks at a time - the extra thickness and compression provides better support and helps to reduce the tearing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 11:04AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I just use a round tapered file in the drill press. By reaming a hole rather than drilling a hole, you never tear up the cork.
Also, by using a cork jig as shown above, the hole will always be well centered.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2010 11:09AM

Might be a lot easier to get cork with the 1/4" hole and build it up where it will sit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 26, 2010 06:58PM

I use a small conical shaped Carbide Burr to drill cork, probably like Roger is talking about. It actually grinds it's way through. I use a drill press but a hand drill will work good also. Just make sure you start in the center of the cork ring.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster