I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

aftco lite rollers and epoxy
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: June 16, 2010 04:00PM

Hello all,
I was given a bunch of aftco lite rollers and I decided to throw em on a GUSA 70L (or a ML, I forget.......if that model even exists...)
I applied a lite coat of epoxy as I always do. Problem is that there is a very large void between the bottom of the guide foot and the blank. It makes sense to me that this void should be filled.
I was thinking about standing the rod upright and injecting epoxy into the open spaces.
How do you guys deal with this issue?

ALSO.......
What do you think about these guides in general?
My intended purpose is to use this set up with something like 20lb flouro for socal tuna fishing when the bite is slow/fish are "line shy". With light line, I'm hoping the rollers will allow me to use my reels's drag system more effectively and to protect the line from those loooong fast runs...........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aftco lite rollers and epoxy
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 16, 2010 08:29PM

Steven I use a full underwrap and coat that first. Then the guide is placed and secured with an overwrap. If I am going to have two overwraps I'll coat the first one beforehand.

I put on enough epoxy to require some removal afterwards. As I rotate the rod by hand I wait for the epoxy to "sag". When the guides are straight down the sagging epoxy fills the tunnel you mention. Best to grind and bend guides to minimize the size of the tunnel.

Traditionally in my area roller guides wereused at opposite ends of the spectrum. They were always used after a certain line class on trolling rods (anything much more than 30 to 40#). They were also common for big game ultra ilght IFGA regulation rods. The guides you mention fall into this class.

I think you are on the right track provided they meet your needs in casting distance. Personally I wouldn't pick them for a really fast action blank that needed a lot of guides near the tip. In fact I wouldn't pick them for 20# class unless I had a thousand+ yards of line and were going after fish that required all that capacity.

But yes, they are a little like a lever drag reel in that everyone should try them to feel the difference. I'd have no problem moving down to normal 12# test for albies and like the newer co-polymer lines.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster