I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grizzly Hobby Lathe
Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.bankone.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:11PM

Has anyone ever used this for cork turning? If so, what did ya think? Great price for only $46 so I'll probably buy it instead of spending $200+ on a lathe.

[www.grizzly.com]

Justin Goodwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grizzly Hobby Lathe
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:36PM

Hi Justin,
I have had one for several years and really like it. I only turn cork, burl cork, and the exotic stuff. I don't think I would use it for wood. At least I have never tried for wood or the resin stuff. The one problem with that lathe is that not all drills will fit. The part right behind the chuck has to be long enough to clear the drill clamp. I use a Companion drill that I get at Sears or you can order one from Grizzly to fit. The tool is well worth the money for turning cork. Once you get set up all you will need is some sand paper of different grits. There is one lathe tool that I use where the tool point is shaped like at 45 degree angle. I use it to cut sharp edges. Sorry, I just had lunch and my brain is not working properly. Can't think of the name of the tool. Don't use a tool to reduce the diameter of exotic cork or you will cut chunks out ot it; in this case just use coarse sand paper.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:42PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check my drill at home....I've got a Ryobi corded drill (2500 rpm with no load). I appreciate your input.

Justin

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:57PM

OK you buy it do a lot of cork - but after 4-6 months you want to do some wood or acrylics. Now what. You buy another ??

Better to have enough lath then not enough. Food for thought.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 03:04PM

I used one for years and loved it!! I upgraded to a midi lathe when I wanted to do wood/acrylics.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 01, 2010 04:46PM

Ellis Mendiola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't use a tool to reduce the diameter
> of exotic cork or you will cut chunks out ot it;
> in this case just use coarse sand paper.

I use turning tools to turn composite cork every time. Good, sharp tools will not knock chunks out of the material. Using just sandpaper won't allow you to obtain a concentric shape.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 05:57PM

Good point Mr. Boettcher, but I don't know how serious I'm going to be about rod building. I'm just starting out as a guy who literrally JUST finished making his DIY power wrapper yesterday. Took me a month b/c I don't have any tools. I had to route out slots in aluminum bars with a drill press, file, and a lot of elbow grease. :) I'll post pics of the power wrapper later on this week to show you what I mean. It looks rough, but works REAL nice. Anywho...back to the topic. I was considering just buying this Grizzly thing because I don't feel like spending another month trying to figure out a way to build a base to support my drill, and then figuring out how to make the tail stock for it. We'll see how much I like rod building after I make one or two....and then IF I happen to enjoy it, I'll consider making more than one fly rod. Right now my uncle wants me to build him a 4/5 wt fly rod for his ponds in Alabama (see earlier thread I started).

Very good info though from all of you, so thanks!

Justin

Posted by: Les Stewart (67.197.28.---)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:11PM

I think you will find that 2500 rpm drill is going to run too fast even with it being variable speed. I'd try to find a cheap one with a slower speed. You wouldn't even need a reversible drill. Hit some yard sales.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:30PM

Justin,
Pay close attention to what Ellis mentioned above. Not all drills will fit the collar on the headstock. I have a Sears drill that is fractionally too small to tighten down well in the headstock, and has a chuck that is fractionally too large in diameter to fit through the collar. So when I used it I had to remove the chuck each time and then partially thread the chuck back onto the drill after the drill was mounted in the headstock.

That being said, my Grizzly functioned quite well for turning grips. Like Mike, I moved on to a midi-lathe when I decided to begin turning wood.

Jeff

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:51PM

I guess I have just been lucky to be able to get a good concentric shape on my grips using a sanding block resting on the tool bar. No problem so far.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2010 05:47AM

Ellis,

You hit the nail on the head. The sanding blocks must rest on the tool bar and use a steady hand so you take off the high side (if there is one)

I built a wood bracket to hold my drill and have it held down with long velcro strips and bar clamped to the bench. I don`t have a tail stock but I use my rod stand from the dryer motor.

My drill is a Black & Decker variable speed, an electrician wired up for me a motor rheastat with a dial, so I`m able to go from 0 rpm up to top speed just by turning a dial.

So far all is well.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 02, 2010 11:30PM

good reason to make sure find a drill to fit the hobby lathe but i did order a free catalog from grizzly and i'm trying to get a lathe hobby cos i have been thinking of make my own cork but when i read about the drill might not fit and i'm trying to find the drill that will fit in but will have to check it out at freight hrbor tool store ..
Josh

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:28AM

The lath is 46 How much is a drill from them to fit ? Shipping charges to you ??

Also do a search of this site and there will be a lot of others you may like better.

I built my own. Similar to Flex Coats but more stuff. It is a cork lath/ light wood, hand wrapper, finisher

Check the photo page to look at what others have built

Mine uses a drill Variable speed, trigger lock, not the best but works good, cheap, and I want to put a 1/2" keyed chuck on it until I can get my Skill fixed
from here : [www.harborfreight.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 07:40AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 08:12AM

Harbor freight has a few variable drills that will fit the collar on the headstock. Grizzly no longer carries the drill for the hobby lathe.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: June 03, 2010 01:44PM

I have a hobby lathe and I think it is marvelous. I only do cork on it. If I ever wanted to do wood, I would move up to a mini-lathe. but for once in my life,
I did not start at the top and move down. I usually start big and find out I bought too much. My norm would be to get a $300-400 lathe to do cork and find
out later I had little interest in doing wood. This time I actually did it right and got just a cork lathe. It does exactly what I want it to do. I use a DeWalt
dirll that fits the HL just right. It has variable speed but I lock it on the speed I want. It is a little overkill drill-wise but I use this drill for a lot of different
things. It is not just my HL driver. The way I look at it now, I would rather spend $46 for a hobby lathe than several hundred for a lathe I dont really use to
its capabilities. If I move up, sell the hobby lathe. Bet you get more of it's cost back than a mini-lathe in a garage sale.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 07:04PM

Justin,
Yes, the Grizzly lathe will work. But, of course it does have some limitations as posted above.

Since you are just starting with rod wrapping, perhaps it would just make more sense to buy a grip that is already formed for you. Then, you only need to ream out the grip, if the hole in the grip is too small.

Sure, making your own grip is creative, but generally speaking not cost saving for you, or if it does save money - only a bit.

In most locations where high volume is done - as in rod factories, all of the grips are made in a separate shop and shipped into the assembly line for use when needed.

--
Another thing to consider is the use of a used lathe. Check out want ads, Craigslist and other internet sources. Every now and then you can run across an excellent deal on a lathe. Then, if you can pick up one used - you will often be able to get back most or all of your purchase if you decide to ever sell it.

This is a search of all of craigs list - with the search quote being "mini wood lathe."

[cse.google.com]

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 07:09PM

Justin,
Yes, the Grizzly lathe will work. But, of course it does have some limitations as posted above.

Since you are just starting with rod wrapping, perhaps it would just make more sense to buy a grip that is already formed for you. Then, you only need to ream out the grip, if the hole in the grip is too small.

Sure, making your own grip is creative, but generally speaking not cost saving for you, or if it does save money - only a bit.

In most locations where high volume is done - as in rod factories, all of the grips are made in a separate shop and shipped into the assembly line for use when needed.

--
Another thing to consider is the use of a used lathe. Check out want ads, Craigslist and other internet sources. Every now and then you can run across an excellent deal on a lathe. Then, if you can pick up one used - you will often be able to get back most or all of your purchase if you decide to ever sell it.

This is a search of all of craigs list - with the search quote being "mini wood lathe."

[cse.google.com]

This is a search of the Minneapolis Craigs list for "lathe"

[minneapolis.craigslist.org]

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster