I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to Vertical Jigging
Posted by: Jerry May (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 03:18PM

Hey Everybody,

I'm looking into building my first jigging rods and I'm looking for some input and experience. I've done some research on the internet but I still have a lot of questions.
I'm planning on building at least one (probably two) conventional and one spinning setup. I would like to modify two of them to 5'8" or less so that I can travel without the airlines charging $$$ for oversized baggage.
I'll be fishing inshore mostly with jigs from 4-10 oz (100 gm - 350 gm roughly) and I have a high speed accurate boss 665 narrow, avet jx, and penn slammer 460 (I know its not ideal but it is all I have for now.)
Here is what I understand... please correct what is inaccurate.
- Mudhole Vertical Jigging Rod Blanks- I've read a lot of good things about these blanks. They are made by American Tackle but NOT made in the U.S.A. I called mudhole and they said that I can alter the blanks a few inches and still maintain the warranty.
- Riley Rod Blanks- All the reviews I read were positive. Manufactured by Batson Forecast in China. Overall they weigh less than comparable blanks from mudhole. Any modification would void the warranty. Any experience with these rod blanks?
- Jaws Vertical Jigging Blanks- Made in Japan and "modeled after some higher end blanks." Also have a lot of positive reviews. When I called the distributor they said any modification of the blank will void the warranty.
- Calstar Butterfly Series Blanks- Made in the U.S.A. and only in 7'. I could not get any recommendations as far as jig weight... they only give line ratings so I feel like I'm guessing which blank to choose. I called the company and they said they will honor the warranty even if I cut the blank down (although I would keep this one 7'). I've only had positive experiences with Calstar and will continue to deal with them. I was thinking of ordering the GFX700M 20-50lb (is this too heavy)?
- There are a number of other companies that I would like to know more about, like Jigging Master and OTI. They also have a lot of really cool accessories (hollowed out balancers/gimbals), but I don't even know how to buy from them.
I would prefer to buy USA when possible but this is becoming increasingly more difficult.
I want one setup to be a bit heavier than the others for deep water/bigger fish. Would you recommend the heavier setup be 7' or 5'8"?

Thanks for your input, Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Vertical Jigging
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 04:45PM

If you want to buy USA made, Seeker Hercules GTS 60H will fit the bill. There are a lot of guys who have cut them to 5'8, down to 5'2, and have had no problems at all, so far all the fdback I've recieved has been positive. HEre's a link: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Jerry May (---.dhcp.hpd.nova.edu)
Date: April 29, 2010 11:56AM

Billy, I hear you are the guy I want to talk to regarding the Hercules Blanks.
Will the Hercules work well with the lighter jigs... 3.5oz? I was under the impression that they were too beefy for the lighter jigs.
Another question I have is regarding the warranty. Now I'm pretty certain I'm not going to break anything as I take care of all reels and rods, but will the warranty on the Hercules be VOID if I modify the blank 4"-6"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 11:56AM by Jerry May.

Posted by: Jerry May (---.dhcp.hpd.nova.edu)
Date: April 29, 2010 11:58AM

Has ANYBODY out there used the Calstar Butterfly Jigging blanks? I would like some feedback regarding their line ratings.
Thanks!

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2010 01:22PM

I contacted Jigging Master about their products here in the US and they told me they have only one dealer and it is in north Jersey. I know the name of it but I'm not sure I can post it on here. My email addres is available if you want the name.

Posted by: Jerry May (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 04:36PM

I would love to contact the JM dealer here in the US. How can I get your email address?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 05:44PM

The 60H built spinning will cast down to 1.5oz, 3.5oz will not be a probem at all. If you modify the blank cutting a few inches from the butt, or an inch or 2 from the tip it's no problem. Here is an e-mail I got a few weeks ago from someone: "BTW - Made a vert. jigging rod with my 60H. Cut off the tip and butt section to a build length of 5'5" and finished her off. I have caught some serious fish with this rod in the past few months including a 40lb gag grouper and 100 lb AJ here in NC and an estimated 120lb yellowfin tuna in Panama 2 weeks ago. "

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: May 06, 2010 11:04PM

Jerry I hope you know how to build jig sticks, my experience with their distributor in New Zealand wasn't what I would call enlightening! They cost between $250 and upwards here ( around $180 US ) So decent money
They won't sell the blanks unless you reallllly know how to build them! I was dumbfounded. I think if you know the dynamics & required action you can build anything!
Admittedly I don't jig much but have tried it a few times, it's becoming very popular here in NZ so I am looking at the Hercules blanks myself
I just looked at the photos on northeast-rodbuilders and that convinced me!

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster