I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Truth in advertising
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2010 03:07PM

A while back it was shared on this board that another site had printed a piece on Byron Velvick’s win at Clear Lake Cal. Using a “Magic Wand” and the fact that it was a “Duckett Fishing Micro Magic” rod.

Well it appears that when web sites print info including the results of a BASS tournament for obvious marketing reasons. They should make sure that said tournament is not going to be aired on National TV.

I watched that tournament today which showed the fish Velvick caught on the last day and highlights from the previous days. And in every clip shown the one thing that was obvious was that he was NOT using a Micro rod of any type or brand.

Now I’m sure he had some, at least for the photo ops needed for the article.
However it is clear he did not use them during the competition or not when the fish were biting anyway.
That is unless they’ve started coming in size 6mm to 12mm double foot configurations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Truth in advertising
Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 03:50PM

I think I know which article you are referring to. I think you need to reread it carefully.

Date: April 04, 2010 03:58PM

While the articel says;
"He may not have been using these sticks exclusively"

From what is seen on TV he was not using them at all especially, when catching fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 03:59PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: April 04, 2010 04:42PM

He may not have on tv. I'm betting sometime throughout the week he did though. It's doubtful he just signed them on never fishing them. Didn't he win that on swimbaits?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 04:50PM

Steve the promo you saw was presented on Tackle Tour - Nuff Said!

All the manufacturers have gone to work with writers and expense accounts to gather vote for ICAST Best of Show!

It is called MARKETING!

To be perfectly honest that article did not contain one thing that was untrue - words can be moved around to paint any picture the writer wants to convey to the reader.

At least the one who markets cosmic gasses now has effective competetion.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:29PM

Hey this guy has sponsors and when he is on TV he is required to use their products or being interviewed mention those sponsors. Hey wasn't this a certified Bass sponsored event. The written word is a dangerous thing. It can be read and miss interrupted so many different ways. An if you miss spell a word you change the whole meaning. I am great for miss spelling. Mr. Harry has corrected me many time over the years. Reason being What I wrote and what I meant to say came out completely different

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:51PM

Bob,
I would wholeheartedly agree that with you that when you are writting the written word is a very dangerous thing.
I am poor when it comes to spelling but I do not hold a candle to you. You are either a world class bad speller or you have more imagination when it comes to spelling then anyone I know.

Date: April 04, 2010 06:58PM

Tom;
You might be right.
He had two white rods on the deck with different baits on, but I noticed that in the photos in the article the bait had been changed to the one he was catching fish with.

It would make sense that at least one of the fish filmed being caught would have been hooked to a micro rod, if he had been using them
Especially if Bob is right about sponsorship, I would think he would have made sure there was some air time for those magic wands.

And yes he won using swim baits

Date: April 04, 2010 07:27PM

I see what you're saying. I think that article said the swimbait rod was still a prototype so I'm betting he was using his previous sponsors rod with that technique.

I'm not a Velvick fan so I don't keep up with him but didn't he just take up e21 for sponsorship recently? If so that's pretty quick turn around and imo says something about his character.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.173.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 07:45PM

"Truth in advertising"
"Jumbo Shrimp"
"Honest Politician"
Doesn't need to be truth in advertising.
Have seen some very large shrimp but few should be called jumbo.
That's the guy buying all the votes at the local watering-hole. Certainly should be king at least.
If the rod is within the confines of the boat; he's met his sponsor requiremets.
Believe nothing of what you hear and half what you see. A very good starting point.
Very observant to have picked up on the lie. Most people just believe and don't bother to look for confirmation.

Eugene Moore

Date: April 04, 2010 07:57PM

Emory I can't thank you enough for correcting my spelling over the years, Now if we work on Punctuation! I read where Enstine was a also Dyslexic. My fuse just collapsed and burned out. I keep running out of spelling excuses that I was a cryptographer for the Military an worked as a talker during the war LOL, sounded good to me. See you in April

Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 04, 2010 08:06PM

Eugine as for jumbo shrimp, I believe it is where you are located, East or West Coast some call them Jumbo prongs.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 09:32PM

GREAT rod building information going on here!

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 09:37PM

John Sams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GREAT rod building information going on here!

No kidding. I thought a prong was a small deer-like animal that inhabits high desert areas of the west before I read this thread. Learn sumpin knew everday! hahaha

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 09:57AM

I had me some prongs last night. They were a cross between a sea monkey and a squid and tasted like chicken.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 12:27PM

Bob,
You brought up the issue of spelling.
If you are uncertain about spelling or simply want to double check your posts for typos, just use one of the on line spelling checkers that are readily available.

I use IE spell and it works well. After typing a post, right click on what you have written and a memo box will jump up and you can select the spelling checker to verify and if needed correct your work.

Simple and easy. Simply use the mouse to highlight your post and the spell checker will check everything that you have highlighted with the left click of your mouse. Simply go to the beginning of your post, select your left mouse button and drag your mouse to the end of your post. This will highlight your entire post. Then, right click your mouse to bring up the spelling menu and select spelling check.

[www.iespell.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 03:09PM

I'm another IEspell fan!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 05, 2010 06:40PM

Hi Roger I was just kidding. I have a spell check now. I the early years Emory would jump my case so I constantly miss spelled common words. I became known as the wort speller on the site. I out did Billy V with his teh (thee) lol When it comes to tech. stuff I make it is correctly spelled and I do use the dictionary that come with my spell check. What I have to do now is learn how to to work the grammar/punctuation part. LOL I use to tell everyone I was a TALKER/ cryptographic man in the Navy. Emory an I are giving a class at Lamiglas this weekend so everyone can understand this farm guy. Are you coming to Woodland for the rod show an tell?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 10:48PM

Hi Bob,

Wow ! That's wonderful that you and Mr. Emory are doing show and tell. What state is Woodland in ?

Ben

Date: April 07, 2010 01:54AM

Ben Woodland WA. is 30 miles North of Portland OR

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster